Library Requested to Support the MKR Series

Now that the Dash is EOL, it would be helpful to us small developers if Hologram could supply a library to support the Ublox modem in the MKR GSM 1400 and support the basic Hologram.Cloud.* calls.

It would be great if the library would provide support for putting the modem in sleep mode to reduce the current consumption.

Perhaps others could shine in with specific requests.

2 Likes

This would also be helpful for me. I’ve been following some of the other Arduino tutrorals and i like what they have there, but I don’t understand what i should be putting towards my device to get it onto the Hologram dashboard. I saw this link yesterday and will be trying it soon:

Yep, that’s good to start with Maiky’s code. We’d be interested to hear more about how you plan to use the MKR 1400 in the future as well so we can better develop tutorials and libraries that help you out.

You can follow all tutorials and examples Arduino provides. To use a Hologram SIM and the Hologram Cloud here are the key parts of @Maiky’s scrip.

Step 1: Gaining network access:

Arduino’s MKRGSM Library requires a few global variables to access the SIM. Specifically, for the Hologram SIM all you need to provide is the APN "hologram". The SIM pin, login, and password can be left blank.

Step 2a (optional): Connect to Hologram’s Server

You’ll need to open a TCP connection to our server with this information.

GSMClient client;
// Hologram's Embedded API (https://hologram.io/docs/reference/cloud/embedded/) URL and port
char server[] = "cloudsocket.hologram.io";
int port = 9999;

void setup() {
  client.connect(server, port)
}

Step 2b: Send data to the Hologram Cloud

In order for our cloud to accept new data and attribute it to the correct user and device, we need all data to be specifically formatted as a string in the following structure. {"k": "DEVICE_KEY", "d": "MESSAGE", "t": "TOPIC(S)"}

String DEVICE_KEY = "lkdfjkdjfkjds";
String MESSAGE = "Your Message here";
String TOPIC = "topic";

if (client.connected()) {
  // Send a Message request:
  client.println("{\"k\":\""+DEVICE_KEY+"\",\"d\":\""+ MESSAGE+"\",\"t\":\""+TOPIC+"\"}");
}

Hope this helps. We’re working on some MKR resources and will be sure to share once they’re ready.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: A NodeJS alternative to the hologram cloud

After reading about MKR NB 1500, it would be great if library support from Hologram could include the complete MKR family. Perhaps I jumped the gun too quickly thinking that the MKR GSM 1400 is the best alternative to the Dash hardware.

I have found this that looks interesting;

That is a walk though on how to program a SIMCOM module through TTL AT Commands. It uses a Adafruit Trinket with Circuit Python though.

You’ll be able to see how I used the same steps as above but more detailed.

The example also starts a local server and opens a port to listen for inbound messages.

@benstr Thanks - that’s awesome. I could probably code at an AT level through any micro if I had the full API for your cloud. This shows the send and receive messages to the cloud, I think the other example shows SMS… So how does the location work? I spent a small amount of time looking in to that on a SARA-U201 attached to the Onion… and then I found the dash.! :slight_smile:

Do you have a full embedded API at the socket level for the cloud (with prerequisites) such as and any further info on how to implement the location services at an AT level?

Thanks Ben.

Hey Evie.

Here is a link to our Embedded API.

Best,
Maiky

I have a question on the Embedded API. I did get the example for the MKR to work on the MKR GSM 1400.
I generated a device key for the SIM that I was using. For Production, I don’t want to hard code the Device Key unless I can use it for all of my SIMS for that particular project. Is there a way to use the same Device Key for a group of SIMS? If so, is there then a way for me to get the SIM number to use as an index into my web database which uniquely defines which SIM the message came from?

Hey Mcrowley,

Due to their nature Device Keys are assigned to only one SIM and are randomly generated so there wouldn’t be a good procedural way to get them.

Best,
Maiky

How about an update as to whether or not you guys are going to release a library to support the MKR series? It’s been over a month since you killed the Dash and I’m waiting patiently to hear when you’re planning to drop a release.

Why can’t we get any info from you guys? WE spent many tens of hours learning and adopting our projects to be compatible your system. Then you go kill the Dash and leave a bunch of us developers with no solution. Why can’t you at least spend a few minutes and let us know if you have a date when you’ll release a library to support the MKR series or just tell us that you don’t have any plans to do so - in which case I’ll stop waiting around and go elsewhere? I’ve messaged Ben at least three times with no response. This is no way to run a company!

1 Like

Agree 100% with Alano. The MKR library should have been completed, tested and working 100% BEFORE the Dash was killed, and then users should have been given time to transition.

My concern with Hologram as a company is that given the extremely poor business integrity they showed in handling the EOL of the Dash, how greatly should they be trusted to further rely on as a network company ?

1 Like

Hey guys,

I appreciate all the interest in an MKR1400 library. We really like the board and are looking forward to testing the MKR1500 soon.

I want to clarify this library has never been on our engineering roadmap since it is not an official Hologram product. Instead, the MKR library/resource mentioned is a project I’m building on my own time. I’m excited to share something in the coming weeks and hope you all will become contributors.

In the meantime there are a few great libraries currently available for the MKR GSM.

Ben, thanks for the update, but I’m not sure why it’s not on Hologram’s engineering roadmap. I’m guessing the Dash EOL wasn’t on their roadmap either, so perhaps your management should make this a priority. In any event, I do appreciate hearing that the library is on your todo list.

I’m really looking to port the work I’ve already done to the MKR boards. If I have to figure out all the AT commands to duplicate the Dash API I’d probably switch to Particle’s LTE E series which is why I’ve been so patient :slight_smile:

If there are any developers interested in this library, please speak up and make your voice heard! The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

We are also trying to transition from Dash to the MKR boards. It seems like the obvious solution for a Dash replacement and would hope Hologram will consider fully supporting the MKR with an official library. Greatly appreciate the personal efforts Ben is providing to support this transition!

1 Like

Ben, another two weeks go by and no release? Is there one coming soon?