Nova USB Modem - RasPi - Not connecting

I never really got this squared away. It seemed like it was working, but I couldn’t send messages, etc. I am back at the project now and can’t even seem to get the modem connected to a network.

In the process of my most recent troubleshooting I have started with a fresh Debian install on SD ()

root@raspberrypi:~# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

I did a fresh CURL install of hologram-python following the “Get Started / Nova / RasPi” tutorial from Hologram.

I have a 2.4 Amp USB power supply for the RasPi which is a Pi 3 – B. I have only power, Ethernet and the modem connected (trying to ensure the issue is not lack of power or reduced voltage to the modem).

The Sim I am using is ICCID: 8944502407175478669, and it was verified with the CLI command, so the modem recognizes that it has a SIM card installed.

The modem, once the PI and modem are all powered up, displays a solid red LED in the lower left (holding the pi and modem with the main flat board top facing you and modem sub connection facing right). I believe this indicates power to the modem. No blue LED ever comes on (which I think indicates network connection / data.)

When I try a connect command, I get the following.

root@raspberrypi:~# hologram network connect -v
INFO: Detected modem Nova_U201
INFO: found working port at ttyACM0
INFO: chatscript file: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/chatscripts/default-script
INFO: Instantiated a Nova_U201 interface with device name of /dev/ttyACM0
INFO: Connecting to cell network with timeout of 200 seconds
INFO: Checking for existing PPP sessions
INFO: Failed to connect to cell network

I know the cell signal in this location is fine.

I’m not sure what else to try. Can you recommend any troubleshooting ideas that might provide me more information? It seems like this should be relatively plug and play based on the online docs. But it just isn’t working for me.

BTW, I did note that the LED’s (red/blue) seem to be reversed in the online manual here (https://hologram.io/docs/reference/nova/user-manual/) compared to the print copy I have and the actual modem I have. I only have a solid red led in the lower left corner of the modem when held with the usb connection to the right and the ublox label facing me.

Thanks for this info. Can you tell me what steps you used, specifically, for setup the first time?

Hi I bought A nova USb modem , and I have a similar problem with my connection , anyone have an idea to solve,

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo hologram modem signal
Signal strength: 12,5
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo hologram modem connect -v
INFO: Detected modem Nova_U201
INFO: found working port at ttyACM0
INFO: chatscript file: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/chatscripts/default-script
INFO: Instantiated a Nova_U201 interface with device name of /dev/ttyACM0
INFO: Connecting to cell network with timeout of 200 seconds
INFO: Checking for existing PPP sessions
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 754, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/ModemMode/pppd.py”, line 109, in connectThreadedFunc
raise PPPError(‘Modem hangup - possibly due to an unregistered SIM’)
PPPError: Modem hangup - possibly due to an unregistered SIM

INFO: Failed to connect to cell network

@Victor_Coello I found my main problem was that I thought I had strong signal (separate cell phone had strong reception, and Nova “signal” command resulted in a non-trivial result like yours.) But, I found by moving to a different location, my connection was more stable. I believe the cell reception is your problem. I know the errors that you list above VERY WELL! :slight_smile:

The other command to use for checking is

> sudo hologram modem operator

This will tell you if you actually have an operator (cell network company) that you are connected to.

Althoughh, be sure to check that you have registered your SIM as well. https://hologram.io/docs/guide/connect/connect-device/

hi,
Im sure that my sim card is registered in the dashboard.
my status is active for this device and says last active 5 minutes
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo hologram modem operator
Operator: 302520

There is a command I found that also fixes signal 99,99 issue it is:

sudo hologram modem radio-on

For some reason the radio is not enabled sometimes? This fixes my signal issues but I am still unable to connect to tower and operator is none.

Hello,
have you registered your sim card on the hologram dashboard
and activated it with a plan -

sudo hologram network connect
should do the trick -
RIch