PDP Context setup failed

I have tried several times to install my Nova on a Raspberry Pi using Stretch Nov 2017 version. I have followed the instructions from https://projects.hologram.io/hologram/add-cellular-to-a-raspberry-pi-with-hologram-nova-ea5926#comments.
I sent another message to benstr and he told me to open a comment here. Below is the screen print from my most recent install:
Found existing installation: urllib3 1.19.1
Not uninstalling urllib3 at /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages, outside environment /usr
Found existing installation: requests 2.12.4
Not uninstalling requests at /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages, outside environment /usr
Successfully installed certifi-2018.1.18 chardet-3.0.4 funcsigs-1.0.2 hjson-2.0.2 hologram-python-0.7.4 idna-2.5 mock-2.0.0 pbr-3.1.1 psutil-5.3.1 py-1.5.2 pyroute2-0.4.21 pyserial-3.3 pytest-3.0.5 python-pppd-1.0.3 python-sdk-auth-0.2.1 python-wifi-0.6.1 pyudev-0.21.0 pyusb-1.0.0 requests-2.18.3 urllib3-1.22
Verifying that all dependencies are installed correctly…
DEPRECATION: The default format will switch to columns in the future. You can use --format=(legacy|columns) (or define a format=(legacy|columns) in your pip.conf under the [list] section) to disable this warning.
You are now ready to use the Hologram Python SDK!
pi@nova:~ $ sudo hologram version
pi@nova:~ $ sudo hologram modem location
ERROR: PDP Context setup failed
pi@nova:~ $ sudo hologram modem signal
Signal strength: 99,99
pi@nova:~ $
I also noted that I never saw a blue light, I do see the red led. I have also checked that the SIM card was properly installed and that the antenna is properly connected.
Hope you can help, and if needed I can send addition information .
Thanks

Hey Rockman55,

In general, the first thing I would recommend doing would be to run curl -L hologram.io/python-update | bash to make sure you are running the latest version.

However, a 99 signal means that signal is not known, not detectable or currently not available. Have you had a chance to activate your SIM? If so I’d see if moving your setup somewhere else helps get a better connection.

Best,
Maiky

Thanks for your reply, I ran the update but still get the same version number. I ran the location command and continue to receive the message : ERROR: PDP Context setup failed
I also moved the unit to a different location. I live in an area with very strong cell strength. I am concerned that I may have a bad unit, since I never see the blue light come on. Also the sim card is active.
Thanks

Can you dump results of ifconfig ?

I would also check the antenna connection again just to be sure.

Hey Rockman 55,

Totally agree with Don_Mitchinson. What antenna are you using with your Nova? Based on the fact that your Signal strength is 99,99 it seems like the issue is getting better signal. For this I would recommend trying out the larger antenna and see if that helps.

I did install the large antenna and it works now. Can I purchase additional antenna from Hologram? I changed the small one so much that the connector came loose from the wire. Also can I use a swivel antenna?
Thanks

Hey Rockman55,

Glad to hear this is working now!

We don’t sell spare antennas, but any antenna with a U.Fl connector that meets the VSWR specs on the data sheet should do.

Nova Datasheet

Dash Datasheet

Best,
Maiky

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.