Windows 7 Serial Driver for Dash

Hi, for Win7, you should be able to right-click on the .inf file and click install.

For newer Windows, you may run into a driver signing issue. Here are some instructions on fixing that: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

We’re working on making this a simpler process.

Trying this on Win7. I get the error ‘The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation’

Have you tried updating the driver from Device Manager? This is a pretty decent video of how to do it. The only difference is instead of Search automatically, select Browse my computer and select the INF file provide in this thread.

We have a signed driver in testing right now that we will be releasing soon. Hopefully that will resolve most of the Windows driver issues.

The error I got was from updating through the device manager and browsing to the driver listed above:

The steps I tried:
http://screencast.com/t/bFvYbfUhb3UV

What else is odd…

When I press the PGM button, windows chimes and shows ‘Dash Pro Loader’ in devices (odd because this is a Dash, not pro). As soon as my sketch is uploaded, the dash switches ‘modes’ and Windows chimes again. Then I have ‘Dash Serial’ listed in other Devices.

Edit: I just tried all this on another box (Windows 8). Same issue, same error. :confused:

Edit2: Just updated to latest firmware (incase it was not already). Tried driver again, same error/issue.

@SoggyB

We’ve encountered lots of issues with Windows 7/8 driver installation. Microsoft has improved support for serial USB devices in Windows 10. It auto-detects the serial USB device and uses the correct built-in driver. The INF file we provide only points to this same driver, so I’m not sure why Microsoft didn’t do this before Windows 10. We are going to be releasing a signed driver soon that will work on Windows 7/8 (since Win 8 requires signed drivers), and hopefully resolve all of these issues.

The Dash loader (also used for the DashPro) is a USB HID device, so that is why the switch occurs when you enter/leave the loader.

Borrowed a Mac so I can do some debugging with the serial monitor.

How can I get the appropriate port working for the Mac to open serial monitor?

ah… I had commented out the SerialUSB.begin();

after pushing that sketch, the new port showed up in the Arduino IDE.

1 Like

Hey, for anyone still having driver issues, we just released a new Arduino integration that will allow you to use a new signed driver. We’re writing up a full tutorial, but after you get the update, compile and upload your user program and tell it to update the bootloader when you get a message about that.

Then, the attached driver should work on Windows:
konekt_cdc_all.zip (7.7 KB)

In case anyone hasn’t seen this related tutorial yet: https://hologram.io/docs/guides-tutorials/using-our-platform/tutorials/making-dash-work-windows-88-1/

Does the konekt_cdc_all.inf work on Win 7 64-bit system? I followed the tutorial, but it complained about compatibility.

That driver works with Win 7 64-bit. Can you be more specific on the compatibility error?

Thanks, Erik.

Indeed it works. I am not sure exactly why. I tried several times, always choosing ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ as suggested, and browse to the folder that contains the .inf file. It kept failing and gave a message about 3-4 lines long, something about Win 64-bit. Today, as I wanted to capture the exact message and tried again. But I ‘made a mistake’ of selecting the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option. To my surprise, the Konekt Dash driver came up, and got installed successfully.

In any case, I also want to congratulate the Hologram support team for releasing the 0.7.1 updater for Windows 7. I am able to upload from the Arduino IDE, as well as using it to upload the bin file without the Arduino IDE! After keeping the DASH in my drawer since day 1 and paying for the data plan without sending a single byte. Today, I finally got the Hello World to the cloud! Thank you.

Sorry, I don’t think the statement in my previous message was accurate. I installed the Dash driver on another computer running Windows 7. I had to choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and not ‘Search automatically…’ for it to work. Anyway, the bottom line is that it works.

2 days ago I updated the firmware to 0.9.4. Now the Arduino IDE cannot upload again. I remember I replaced the updater within the IDE with the 0.7.1 version and it worked beautifully. Should I somehow change the updater again, or perhaps even change back to the 0.7.0?

Right now I can run the updater directly to upload the bin file. It’s just not as convenient as in IDE.

Thanks.

Hi @Erik, I just got a Dash Pro in addition to the Dash. The Arduino IDE is able to see my Dash, but I am facing the same old problem (on Dash before) of not seeing the Com port which the Dash Pro uses. I followed the same procedure but this time it does not work with Pro. On the IDE, it says ‘Board at COM8 is not available’. In the Device Manager, the ‘Konekt Dash Com Port (COM14)’ which I used for the Dash is still showing up, but nothing alerting to the Dash Pro being plugged in. Did I miss something?

Dash Pro has already been updated to 0.9.4. The IDE, I believe, is 0.9.1.

On the IDE, when I choose ‘DashPro Beta’ for the Board instead of ‘DashPro’, the COM14 shows up, and it works? What are the differences between DashPro Beta and DashPro? Any documents to refer to? Thanks.

I still cannot get the modem to pass through 1/14 stage, however. Anything to do with being a Beta unit?

Hi,
Selecting the board in the IDE shouldn’t make any difference as to which COM port is selected. Sometimes the IDE (or Windows) can just be a little slow about refreshing the list. Only a small number of people have the Pro Beta board. It was basically just some early Kickstarter backers. Did you get the board through our Kickstarter?

One thing to check is that you have the latest version of the Arduino IDE. (They’re up to 1.6.11 now)

Hi @Reuben, I just brought the board from @mario, who was an early Kickstarter backer.

I am using Arduino IDE 1.6.10. Is it good enough?

If I choose ‘DashPro’, and the port does not appear, it complains of COM 8 not available. When I choose ‘DashPro Beta’, whether the port is available or not, it is COM 14. So there must be a difference. Right?

I also just got mario to transfer his SIM card account to me. I am not able to get the modem on this board to go pass 1/14 stage. I am wondering whether it is because of the SIM card, or USB not having enough power (I also tried using an USB hub but does not work), or something else? Any tips?

Can you confirm the SIM card is inserted correctly? Notch should be inside and to the left.

Oh and for the COM ports, Windows doesn’t guarantee that you’ll always get the same port number for the same device so that’s not necessarily a sign of something bad. If there are no ports, I think the IDE just looks for some default number.