Getting errors with SIM800L and Arduino

Hi, I have installed the library Hologram-SIMCOM and running the sketch ‘Blink’,
I have set the device key and this is the output I am receiving:
DEBUG: Verbose monitoring and modem serial access enabled
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT
DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = OK
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT+IPR=19200

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT+IPR=19200
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT+CPIN?

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT+CPIN?
DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = ERROR
ERROR: Error resp when calling AT+CPIN?

ERROR: begin() failed at +CPIN
Cellular connection failed
Setup complete

I have tried to look up why the ERROR is appearing but I could not find any reason, any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I was getting similar problems and also created a post. Assuming you have the SIM in the right way and you are in an area that has 2G coverage, I am really not sure what the problem is. I got it working once or twice but going back to it, it would stop working. The best results I got was to use a terminal program and enter the AT commands by hand!

I have since moved on and use the NOVA with its 4G coverage and have much more success with the tutorials.

I have tried typing the AT commands manually, the problem is that similar to the log I have posted, for basic commands such as reading states I get as a response “ERROR”, how could I troubleshoot it if I can’t even read stuff from the module?
And thank you,I will try to make use of your post.

Update: Okay, so if I flip the SIM orientation, I get this on the init:
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT+IPR=19200

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT+IPR=19200
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT+CPIN?

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT+CPIN?
DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = +CPIN: READY
DEBUG: Write Modem Serial = AT+CSQ

DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = AT+CSQ
DEBUG: Modem Serial Buffer = +CSQ: 0,0
ERROR: no signal
Cellular connection failed

And when I flip it back I get 25,0 for AT+CSQ but same errors as I posted above.
Also, Sometimes it outputs SMS ready, no idea what that means.

I got +CPIN:ERROR in two occasions

1. inverted SIM
  2. bricked/broken SIM (I forgot to unplug/power off the board before re-inserting SIM).

Since SIM800L is a 2G modem, it is only bound to connect to a 2G cell tower. However, knowing that modem will try to get the connection with the higher transmission power, then your SIM800L might jump from a 2G to a 3G tower… which will result in inconsistent network connection.
AT&T retired 2G network already so SIM800L is just supported by T-Mobile until end of 2018 (or just a few years more).

As @Steve_Mayze suggested, try to use SIM 3G modules instead, specially if you’re just into the proto stage.

Hey, I tried the sim on my phone and its working, signal is 20,0 without sim and 0,0 with, any suggestions?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.