Heartbeat Routing Example

Hi, is this a similar thing where you made this rule a while ago and then it stopped working a few weeks back? If you make a new rule, it’ll probably work.
We’re planning to dig into this issue next week so we should have a fix out in the near future, but making a new rule seems to be a reliable workaround for the problem.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the description is wrong on the timer. We forgot to change that after updating the UI. We’ll get that fixed soon.

Hey, Reuben,

That’s what I thought when I saw Tony’s note, so I’ve tried making a new rule a few times now. No luck. In fact, the screen shots I posted are for the “new” rule. Getting consistent Dash data every 90 minutes, and I have set the heartbeat to 5 min and also 15 min just to try to kick it a bit by triggering a change in that setting. Still no heartbeat trigger in the data logs. :frowning:

Hmm ok, I have some theories about what’s going on. Will dive into it tomorrow morning. Sorry for the trouble. I’ll post an update here when we fix it.

No worries – that’s why it’s called BETA! :slight_smile:

Just tried again – deleted both heartbeat rules (publish (HEARTBEAT00000) rule and SMS subscribe rule (SIMPLESTRING)); timer set to 5 min. Still no go. FYI, I had it working swell a few months ago right after you rolled it out… of course, still possible I’m doing something wrong.

Hi, we’re still doing some cleanup but we just deployed a patch that should make this all behave a little better. Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Thanks! Sadly, still a no-go. Deleted and recreated; still no heartbeat message.

Ok, thanks for checking. We have a big patch coming out soon that will fix this completely.

@MichaelM want to give this another try?

1 Like

Okay – and here’s where we stand. I deleted and re-created the heartbeat rules last night (Dash is continuing to send data every 90 minutes). No luck. Strangely, at 7:01 this AM (EST), I received a heatbeat trigger, even though it was more than an hour since my last Dash transmission (and my Heartbeat trigger is set to 5 minutes). No more since then (and my Dash continues to upload every 90 minutes, so I should be receiving more heartbeat notes.

Thinking that something may have reset on your side, I deleted and re-created the rules 30 minutes ago; Dash is continuing to upload just fine, but again no heartbeat after 30 minutes, with heartbeat set as before to 5 minute trigger.

PS – thanks for all your efforts. I know this is frustrating for you as well.

UPDATE: I’ve been getting multiple heartbeat alerts in the last 30 min or so; a total of
5 of them, randomly timed. All this WITHOUT corresponding Dash updates to “cock the 5 minute trigger.” Almost like the plumbing on your SMS server was plugged up… :-).

UPDATE 2: Well, okay, then! The heartbeat seems to be working now. It kicked in all by itself (via the existing 2 rules described earlier). Nice!

Thoughts from your side on what may have made the difference?

UPDATE 3: So steady-as-she-goes for now, BUT for one instance: I uploaded data to the Hologram Cloud @ 2:20 AM (EST) today. A Heartbeat should have triggered 5 minutes later, but did not.

Every other instance works well: I’m uploading every 90 minutes, and the heartbeats come like clockwork 5 minutes later.

Still, worthy to question why it did not work that one time today in the wee hours…

Thanks for all of the updates. I think what you saw earlier with the SMS issues was just an SMS delay on the carrier side and not a heartbeat issue. If you look at your data logs you can see the actual heartbeat messages that are being generated.
That being said, I think we’re still seeing some timing bugs in here which we’re looking at. Will hopefully get some more fixes released this week.

Hey, Reuben. I just checked the logs – the 5 consecutive and rapid heartbeat triggers just before noon 4/15//17 (un-triggered) are confirmed in the data logs; same with the two missing triggers early Sunday AM and early Monday AM. I’ll shoot you copies on the chat line.

Progress!! Heartbeat alerts (every 90 minutes, triggered 5 minutes after last data), have “made it though the night” two days in a row now, and all though the day. Not a single heartbeat alert missed. You may have fixed it! :-).

Great news. Yeah, we pushed out another fix that should have cleaned this up entirely.

There is one more known issue that you might see if you edit a heartbeat rule that is currently triggered and we’ll have a fix for that pretty soon. It’s a more minor and sporadic thing so you might not notice it.