NB IoT USA

Hi,

I’m trying to connect the Hologram Nova using NB IoT in the US (Bay Area).
I’m able to connect the Internet in case I’m using LTE-M (-> at+URAT=7).
If LTE-M is enabled the module connects right away, with and without using the Hologram SDK.

But when I try to use only NB IoT (-> at+URAT=8) the module doesn’t connect to a network.

ati gives me:

Manufacturer: u-blox
Model: SARA-R410M-02B
Revision: L0.0.00.00.05.06 [Feb 03 2018 13:00:41]
SVN: 02
IMEI: 356726102472800

I’m pretty sure there should be NB IoT Reception in my Area as ‘AT+COPS=?’ returns this list:

+COPS: (3,“311 480”,“311 480”,“311480”,9),(1,“310 260”,“310 260”,“310260”,9),
(1,“AT&T”,“AT&T”,“310410”,9),(0,1,2,3,4),(0,1,2)

and ‘at+csq’ returns

+csq: 14,99

I also tried to connect to AT&T (310410) manually (-> m.ex’at+cops=1,2,310410,9’) but it didn’t work out.

I don’t want to use the hologram SDK, as I need control over PSM and eDRX sittings and only wan’t to use NB-IoT for evaluation of the network.
I also tried to follow the ublox Guide https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/SARA-R4-N4-Application-Development_AppNote_(UBX-18019856).pdf (Section 8.5.1), but it didn’t help me.

In some posts I read that the connection to the network with NB-IoT can take up to an hour. Does anybody have any experience in using only NB-IoT in the US or an Idea what I can try?

Thanks in Advance!
Dominik

Hi, NB roaming is still in flux and so we don’t offer NB service with our SIMs at this time. If you do need it for your application, reach out to the support team and we’ll see if there’s anything we can do.

1 Like

Hey Reuben,

Thanks for your reply! I’ll contact the support.

Best Dominik

Hi @Dominik_Kogel,

One thing to check is your M(v)NO. Your hardware, of course, must support NB-IoT (which the Nova R410 does), but your access provider (SIM card) must have access to the particular network you want to use.

1 Like

Hi @mbrenner,
Sure - I was thingking that the Nova SIMs supports NB-IoT in the USA, but as @Reuben and the support pointed apparently they don’t.
In the moment I try to use a vodafone SIM (from europe) in the at&t network what yet doesn’t work either.
Does anybody have experience with NB-Iot through AT&T?

It’s very possible that Vodafone can’t roam on NB either. You may need to contact AT&T directly and get a SIM card specifically for NB from them.

I’m in contact with people from Vodafone - According to them it should be possible.

Hi @dominik_Kogel,

You really must check with the MNO. Some have put up NB-IoT equipment but only for “testing.” Just because a device sees a provider doesn’t, of course, mean you can access it.

My understanding is that, initially, T-Mobile decided to the NB-IoT route and ATT & Verizon chose Cat-M1. Before long, however, I starting seeing non-T-Mobile NB-IoT when I scanned for providers.

As @Reuben suggested, you may need a special SIM to access ATT’s NB-IoT network (if you can access it at all).

Just out of curiosity, why do you care if the access is Cat-M1 or NB-IoT?