Routing rules - Payload for POST

@juipin Sorry about the SMS issue yesterday, in fact there was issues with SMS yesterday. The issues have been resolved. You can be notified of platform issues by visiting http://status.hologram.io/.

SMS by nature is sometimes delayed up to 60 seconds. We are actively working on other methods of communicating with your device. More news to come with our upcoming firmware release.

@benstr Thanks. SMS delay of 60 seconds is still ok in my application. I hope the SMS issue yesterday will not happen too frequently. Actually I just started playing with Hologram Dash in the last 4 days, and this incident has lowered my confidence to deploy Dash in timing critical applications. But overall I think Hologram is very promising, especially with a strong technical team aggressively working on new features, and providing excellent support.

Really looking forwards to more ways to communicate with the devices reliably. Thanks.

@juipin thanks for recognizing our hard work, we are definitely working aggressively to disrupt the cellular world to better work for IoT. The Dash and Hologram platform is built for mission critical production level applications with a handful of clients managing 10’s of thousands of devices.

Although, working with hundreds of cellular providers worldwide does come with it’s headaches. The recent SMS issue was one of those headaches where we did not have direct control (it was an issue from one of our partners). The positive takeaway is our recent and rapid growth is allowing us to demand better SLAs. Disrupting large industries like cellular communication is tough but we are doing it with a great client base and community!

Definitely stick around, we have a bunch of exciting announcements coming between now and early 2017 :tada:

@benstr I had 6 SMS messages just received after 27 hours of delay. The same payloads were sent to my email quite timely, and the http://status.hologram.io/ page does not show anything wrong yesterday. Well, this is after 2 weeks of testing on Dash, and the experience on SMS from Hologram Cloud is too unpredictable.

@juipin let’s figure this out. Could you share the city/location your Dash is at. Also your power source and firmware version. Thanks!

I am in Singapore. I see that the Telco it connects to is SingTel. I believe the firmware is 0.9.4, as I seemed to see it when I was prompted within the Arduino IDE to upgrade to this version (how to check the version anyway?) I have an external +5V source with 2.5A output directly wired to the L01 pin, which I suppose is connected on the Dash board to the USB connector.

Since the Cloud has the data, and the route to emails did occur yesterday (Singapore time around 11:45am yesterday), but I received the corresponding SMS messages from the same payload only today around 1:47pm, I can only conclude that it is the same delay issue from the Cloud to SMS.

Just want to say that there have been also many times that the payloads are not transmitted to the Cloud, which of course I don’t receive emails and SMS. I am using a GSM band duck antenna.

@juipin sorry about all this. We looked into your issues and can verify our platform worked as expected and the delay came from SingTel’s side. We are reaching out to them now. @ryanHologram will be handling this ticket and will reach out to you if we need any further information.

Thanks @benstr. That sounds good. Hopefully the issue can be resolved soon, as I am urgently wanting to deploy this ‘battery charging station monitoring system’ at work.

Hi @benstr In the meantime, could you please help me with 2 related questions:
I left the system on over-night, and I tried to trigger conditions to send payloads to the Cloud this morning. But the Dash modem is not alive.

1. It looks like the Dash modem will go ‘dead’ after a while. How often do I need to send a payload to the Cloud to keep it alive? Someone seems to have played with it, and there is mention of 1 hour, 30 mins, or even shorter than that. What is the interval for firmware 0.9.4? Will it be possible that this needs not be done by users, but the Dash system firmware takes care of it?

2. I understand that until firmware 1.0 is released, I cannot use different tags to differentiate those payloads that will route to SMS, and those to be routed to an URL. So if I need to send a payload to the Cloud every 30 mins, I will get an SMS every 30 mins. Is there a workaround in the meantime? Is there a command to wake up the modem, other than powercycling the Dash?

Hi @benstr and @ryanHologram, the delay is happening today (now). The last 4 emails messages were received around 5:46PM Singapore time (8 hours ahead of the record time on Cloud). First SMS arrived on 5:46 PM (good), next 2 came at 7:53 PM (about 2 hours late), and the last one has not appeared yet.

Hi, just wanted to point out that the time currently shown in the dashboard is in UTC, not your local time so that might be part of the confusion.

Hi @Reubent, I am aware of that. It is 8 hours behind Singapore time. No, it is not because of that.

Oh sorry, I misread your message. Looks like you accounted for that already. We’re still investigating these delays but it could be a little while. These types of issues with the interconnects between the cellular networks tend to take a while to get resolved.

I understand, @Reuben. I am just being too eager to use Hologram technology in production. The temperature monitoring of a battery charging station is quite timing critical, and at this moment, I really cannot roll it out.Hopefully SingTel will be collaborative enough to resolve it sooner. Thanks.