SARA R410M loses USB connection to RPi

For the past 3 days, I’ve had the code running that automatically recovers from these R410M crashes (after the module reenumerates with the *__BULK product string, it cycles power to it and reestablishes the PPP session)

The crashes are very episodic. During the night, they are infrequent. In early evening (7PM to 9PM), the crashes become very frequent – once ever few minutes connected.
During these times, I’ve trying moving my AT&T sim card into a BG96 based usb modem. The BG96 modem is not effected.
I also tried the sim in a Mikroe R410M modem. It shows the same crashing behavior there.

My LTE-M1 sim is for the AT&T $30/yr “one-rate” plan. @Sven @davidm Is this the same plan you two are using?

Another thing I’ve discovered is that after crashing or removing the modem dongle during an active PPP session, the next connection attempt almost always results in a firmware lockup. Refreshing the profile settings or repeatedly resetting the modem seems to recover from this.
Although the R410M user manual warns not to suddenly remove power, that’s a difficult constraint for small embedded systems.
Users pull the plug without shutting down because they don’t view these machines “real computers”
No other modem I’ve used is especially bothered by a sudden power loss. Linux systems have had logging filesystems, immune to corruption from power loss events, for well over a decade.

I am in Canada. I have the Hologram Maker Edition Flexible Data plan which partners with Rogers here (Rogers Communication Partnership). My test hardware has been relatively stable for several days. But I know that the problem (spontaneous re-enumeration with QHSUSB__BULK product string) is still there.

I am on ATT in the US. See the issue in one location, but not in another.
Swapping the modems makes no difference.

Which +UMNOPROF profile do you use?
Is it AT++UMNOPROF=2 ? (same as AT&T)

Seems that none of us seeing these failures use Verizon service. Correct?
I’ve got a Hologram SIM in my office at work that’s Verizon based.
After we open the office again, I’ll try testing with that SIM.

Have you guys tried this with the UMNOPROF=100 setting with the recommended band masks in our guide?

I have not, but happy to try once the replacement modem arrives.

Can you share the full details on the settings, please? This would be for ATT in the US.

Check out the section on UMNOPROF and UBANDMASK

Thanks.

Trying the steps on an R410 I get the following error:

AT+CFUN=0

AT+CFUN=0

OK

AT+UBANDMASK=0,17701022

AT+UBANDMASK=0,17701022

ERROR

Setting AT+UBANDMASK=1,923806 works fine, but without the other setting the modem no longer connects to ATT.

Here is what it get as available networks and that misses ATT:
+COPS: (3,“311 480”,“311 480”,“311480”,9),(1,“310 260”,“310 260”,“310260”,9),(0,1,2,3,4),(0,1,2)

Make sure UMNOPROF is 100 before setting the band mask

I did. Here is the complete sequence of commands and the output:

ATI
Manufacturer: u-blox
Model: SARA-R410M-02B
Revision: L0.0.00.00.05.08 [Apr 17 2019 19:34:02]
SVN: 03
IMEI: REMOVED
OK

AT+CFUN=0
OK

AT+UMNOPROF=100
OK

AT+CFUN=15
OK

AT+CFUN=0
OK

AT+UBANDMASK=0,17701022
ERROR

Just received the replacement and it contains the old firmware:
Revision: L0.0.00.00.05.06 [Feb 03 2018 13:00:41]
SVN: 02

Should I update?

Hmm there must have been some old ones still left in the warehouse. Yeah go ahead and update and see how it works. I’ll see if we can get you one of the new ones.

Ok, will do.

Any suggestion on the AT+UBANDMASK=0,17701022 error?

I was not able to test the replacement modem on the location I saw the previous one fail, yet, but will do so later this week. Seems to be working fine at my dev location.

Did the firmware update and also set AT+UMNOPROF=2 which applies the ATT profile and also sets the correct UBANDMASK.

@Reuben Any reason to not use AT+UMNOPROF=2 vs. the setup guide?

I can confirm some of these issues when UMNOPROF=2, ATT. My experience is with an arduino mkr NB 1500. It appears to me that sometimes during high traffic or weak signal, the modem can become unresponsive. The only way to recover is a hard reset using the reset pin. Usually when this happens, 5-6 hard resets are required in a row. My application sends data every 10 mins. The data is being sent, and the socket is closed, but then the modem becomes unresponsive before the next 10min interval.

That’s probably fine, you just won’t get good service on any other carriers. The instructions on the guide are designed to support all carriers that we support.

Received the new R410M. It came with the newer firmware. Behavior is definitely different than the previous modem that was upgraded to latest firmware. I have seen zero of the lights off failures. I’d guess there were more differences than just the firmware, or the firmware upgrade does not upgrade everything. The UMNOPROF=100 and bandmasks set successfully. This modem connected to ATT first, and now it seems to always connect to sprint. Sending data from the modem to the cloud works fine, but sending data from cloud (hologram data message from web) worked once and has not worked again. In the activity log on the web, I get “Failed to connect to device to send message”. I’ve tried 3 diff SIMs with same result. Ideas?

Missed this. Glad that the preinstalled firmware is working much better. Can you try disabling eDRX on the board and see if that helps? Some of the features of Cat-M that power down the radio can cause some trouble here.

Any luck with locating a new one?