AT&T IoT Starter Kit V2

Hello Everyone,

I see that another user mentioned using AT&T’s Starter Kit, but that was for the first version and I’m using V2, so unfortunately that didn’t help solve my issues.

I’m having trouble registering with a mobile network using AT&T’s IoT Starter Kit (WNC M18Q2FG modem/GPS receiver).

I have added Hologram’s APN to the APN list and have tried both manually selecting the APN and leaving it in automatic selection mode. Even if the issue was an APN configuration issue, the device should still register with a network, right?

When I search for PLMNs, I see Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile regardless of the SIM inserted, although the searching seems to fail much more frequently with the Hologram SIM than with the AT&T IoT SIM. It’s possible that this starter kit is carrier locked to AT&T’s network, but I tried unlocking it through AT&T’s website and it didn’t recognize the IMEI. Assuming the device is carrier locked, shouldn’t it still allow access to AT&T’s PLMN with the Hologram SIM?

With AT&T’s SIM, I am able to register with a network but am still having issues getting internet access. I’ve made sure the appropriate APN was set for internet access with AT&T’s SIM, too. When the modem registers with AT&T’s network with their SIM, it shows a signal strength of 0, which I find odd. I tried driving around and registering with a network using the Hologram SIM in case the signal was just poor, but that didn’t resolve it.

Another odd issue I’m having is that this module doesn’t provide GPS info when the Hologram SIM is inserted, but it works flawlessly when the AT&T SIM is inserted or no SIM is installed. Could this be a SIM (configuration) issue? I’m able to read the ICCID via the modem, so I know it’s not completely defective.

For what it’s worth, we have an AT&T MicroCell because cell reception in our area is generally quite poor. But as previously mentioned, even when driving to areas with better reception I still couldn’t register with a network using the Hologram SIM.

Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated!

– Nick

I suggest you cut down the questions here, I think too many to answer all at once. First I’d focus on getting registered, has the device ever registered “worked” with the Hologram simcard?

Either way, when it doesnt work run the commands: https://help.hologram.io/en/articles/1944384-modem-sim-annotated-diagnostic-test and post the results, that should help identify exactly where things are going wrong.

If there is an ATT starter kit forum or other user forum around that kit I would suggest posting there as well especially about your GPS issue.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response! No, this device has never registered with a mobile network using the Hologram SIM. However, the same SIM has worked with another modem in the past.

Here’s the output:

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT\r\r\nOK\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"ATI"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "ATI" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "ATI\r\r\nManufacturer: WNC\r\nModel: M18Q2FG-1\r\nRevision: MPSS: M18Q2_v12.09.182151 APSS: OE_v01.09.184161 CUSTAPP: \r\r\n\r\nSVN: 07\r\nIMEI: 014814000339083\r\n+GCAP: +CGSM\r\n\r\nOK\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CGMI"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CGMI" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CGMI\r\r\nWNC\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CGMM"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CGMM" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CGMM\r\r\nM18Q2FG-1\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+GMM"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+GMM" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+GMM\r\r\nM18Q2FG-1\r\n\r\nOK\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CPIN?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CPIN?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CPIN?\r\r\n+CPIN: PH-NET PIN\r\n\r\nOK\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CCID"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CCID" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CCID\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CRSM=176,28539,0,0,12"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CRSM=176,28539,0,0,12" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CRSM=176,28539,0,0,12\r\r\n+CRSM: 105,130,\"\"\r\n\r\nOK\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CFUN?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CFUN?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CFUN?\r\r\n+CFUN: 1\r\n\r\nOK\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CSQ"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CSQ" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CSQ\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CSQ?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CSQ?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CSQ?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+COPS"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+COPS" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+COPS\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CREG?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CREG?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CREG?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CGREG?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CGREG?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CGREG?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CGDCONT?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CGDCONT?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CGDCONT?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+CGACT?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+CGACT?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+CGACT?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+COPS?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+COPS?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+COPS?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

/ # JsonClient /tmp/cgi-2-sys at_cmd '{"cmd":"AT+COPS=?"}'
send:
{ "action": "at_cmd", "args": { "cmd": "AT+COPS=?" } }
read:
{ "at_cmd": { "errno": 0, "errmsg": "", "result": "AT+COPS=?\r\r\nERROR\r\n" } }

After some research on this:

AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: PH-NET PIN

OK

it appears that the modem is indeed carrier locked; is that what you would conclude as well?

Thanks,
Nick

Yea I agree looks like its locked to AT&T simcards.

If you want a more universal solution any of the shields based on U-Blox modules are pretty good and those will work with Hologram or any simcard. Most dont have GPS though (U-Blox offers these as seperate modules).

Hi Andrew,

All right, I’ll see if I can get an unlocked firmware from the manufacturer. I’ll also look into those U-Blox modules. I’m hoping they’re decently priced. These M18Q2FG modules are roughly $27 a piece and include an ARM Cortex A7 which can run user applications, LTE with 3G and 2G fallback options, and GPS. I’ve found that it’s quite difficult to beat that price point, especially since I’ll be mass producing hardware with these.

Thanks again,
Nick

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.