Best Method to Send a GET Request from Nova

I am attempting to find a very low overhead method to send a GET type request from a Raspberry Pi and receive data back using a Nova. So far, I have tried sending a message to hologram, and having an external web app send a message back to the device, but I have found this not to be reliable. Is there any way to send a request from the Raspberry Pi via the Nova and receive a response back (all in one request)? I am trying to avoid using “connect”, as I only want data for this one request to be sent and received over the network.

Have you found anything to be reliable? I have a system that “works” using SMS messaging. The problem with it is the latency. I can send a msg from hologram modem via my software and receive it in a few seconds. However, sending an SMS msg to the modem can take hrs; not very helpful and there seems to be no answer to solve this problem. Also, if anyone know a way to clear all msgs from the cloud’s cache that would be helpful.

I ended up just going with connect, I figured as long as I don’t send a request very often it should be fine. It seems like each request is around 10 KB, so you should be safe for 100 or so requests a month to stay under 1 MB. I originally had an SMS setup, but it was getting kind of expensive ($1 a month) for what I was using it for. SMS was the only other reliable method that I got to work. I think it is because an SMS message is kept in some sort of queue where as messaging fails if it cannot connect to the device immediately.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I had no issues with latency (almost instantly), maybe it is because where I live there are a lot less cell phone users compared to where you may be.

After having it running for a while it seems like each request uses about 30 KB… While this will still work, it seems to have a lot of overhead compared the the size of the actual request. The request I am sending and receiving is about 5 KB which means there is about a 25 KB overhead just for connecting to the network.

For your purposes, using HTTP is unwise. If you were to open a socket connection, send your request, and receive a response, the amount of data used would be around 100 bytes plus the number of bytes of data you send and receive.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.