Can send data from device to cloud, but cannot send data from cloud to device

I’m using a Pycom GPy, and the SIM typically connects to AT&T in my location. I can send data from the GPy to the cloud, but I can’t send data from the cloud to the device.

This is the Python code that opens a socket, waits for a connection, and prints what it sent.

s = socket.socket()
s.settimeout(120)
s.bind(('',4010))
s.listen(5)
print ("Waiting for accept")
(conn, addr) = s.accept()
print("Connected", addr)
with conn:
    data = conn.read()
    print(data)

I have the LTE connection working in other code.

Whenever I try to send a message from the Dashboard (via TCP on port 4010), a message saying “Socket error: timed out” comes back. Earlier this morning, it was taking around 15-20 seconds for the error to appear in the log, but now it’s almost instantaneous.

Full code:

import socket
	import ssl
	import time
	import errno
	import pycom
	import micropython
	from network import LTE
	import sys
	import json
	import binascii
	from machine import RTC

pycom.heartbeat(False)
	lte = LTE()
	lte.attach()
	while not lte.isattached():
			pycom.rgbled(0xFF0000)
			time.sleep(0.25)
			pycom.rgbled(0)
			time.sleep(0.25)
	lte.connect()       # start a data session and obtain an IP address
	print("Waiting for connection")
	while not lte.isconnected():
			pycom.rgbled(0x00FF00)
			time.sleep(0.25)
			pycom.rgbled(0)
			time.sleep(0.25)
	print('Connected')       # attach the cellular modem to a base station

try:
			s = socket.socket()
			s.settimeout(120)
			s.bind(('',4010))
			s.listen(5)
			print("Connected", addr)
			with conn:
					data = conn.read()
					print(data)
	finally:
			s.close()
			lte.disconnect()
			lte.dettach()

I’m having a similar issue. Using a different python script (the one that follows the example). Data is only received one out of maybe 10 times. Using a RaspberryPi3 B+ and Nova.

Hi jbutzine, are you still having issues? I have yet to successfully send a message, and I’m still trying to figure out if it’s on my end or Hologram’s.

Just chiming in that I’m also experiencing this.

I’m following benstr’s github demo here: https://github.com/HologramEducation/AT-Workshop and unable to receive a message from Hologram dashboard.

I tried again today and now I can send data from the Hologram cloud to my device. However, Hologram immediately adds the “Socket error: timed out” error once the data is received by the device.

Can anyone from Hologram chime in on what’s going on with the cloud service and the socket API?

The cloud will wait for a reply back for a little bit and if it doesn’t get anything then it will print that message. Try writing back some response to the socket after you get the data.

BTW, some very recently activated SIMs (within the last week or two) might have had issues here due to a carrier routing issue that was fixed a couple days ago. That might explain the trouble you were having.
Also, on Cat-M sometimes things don’t work because the radio stays powered off for a longer period of time than 3G. We’re working on a fix for this.

Thanks for that info, Reuben.

The issue was with my code. I was originally using the following code to send data from the cloud to the device and then respond:

s = socket.socket()
s.settimeout(120)
s.bind(('',4010))
s.listen(5)
print("Connecte ", addr)
data = conn.readall()
print(data)
print("sending response back")
conn.sendall("Data written!")
print("resposne sent...")

The issue with my code was in the data = conn.readall() statement. readall reads all of the data for the connection, and only returns once the connection is closed. I replaced readall with recv(1024) and everything is working as expected.

Makes sense. Glad you got it working

One other thing we discovered today. If you’re using a GPy and you can’t receive data, make sure the modem firmware is up to date.

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.