Confirmation - will Hologram work with LTE-only devices?

I’m looking at using Hologram for connectivity on remote management devices by OpenGear. The current series of devices only support LTE, no 3G. I believe that Hologram should work with LTE, based on the cellular specs, but can anyone confirm for sure?

Thanks!

“LTE” can be a tough and slightly ambiguous term (reference LTE vs. 4G | The Differences Explained | Digital Trends)

Do you have a link to the specs of the specific piece of hardware you’re looking at? We might be able to help you from there.

Looks like the device (OpenGear gateway) embeds a Sierra MC7354 modem, which actually shows that it will support both LTE and HSPA/WCDMA/GSM… so I think it should be good regardless!

However, I’d still be curious to know if your services support LTE, or if they max out on the “misnamed” 4G techs (HSPA+/etc.)

We have supported LTE speed connections, you can get more info by contacting sales@hologram.io

Hologram exists because we felt the low bandwidth IoT market was underserved. Our pay-as-you-go worldwide pricing metered per kB and very low monthly fee ($0.40) has really resonated in the low bandwidth IoT world.

Since starting we’ve found low bandwidth covers the vast majority of IoT projects. Although there has been a number of customers who required high bandwidth. If a project requires high bandwidth there typically needs to be a one-on-one conversation with custom pricing.

Great, thanks!

I actually want LTE for the latency more than the bandwidth - one of my use cases is for remote consoles, where bandwidth requirements are quite low, but latency needs to be decent.

Jumping on the tail end here… Do Hologram SIM cards come with their own static IP? Even if it is a dynamic IP, is it NAT’d in any way or does it sit behind a firewall? The Opengears get finicky with SIM cards that arent publicly routable.

Micah, you should start a new thread for a new, unrelated question like this.

But… It’s definitely not static IP. The device itself sees a 10.x.x.x/30 address, but it’s possible each user is allocated a unique dynamic routable address (ie 1:1 NAT). I haven’t paid much attention to the public address as our devices communicate with a secure API and we plan to use hologram’s API to track the devices themselves.

Even if you don’t go with Hologram you should plan to work with NAT. NAT is really common in mobile, especially outside the USA due to the lack of IPv4 addresses, and I’ve never encountered a network provider who didn’t charge extra for static IPs.