Dash Modem Times Out and Won't Send Data After 1 Hour

Thanks @rubenk, and appreciate the offer! If you have a current Dash (not sure about the Dash Pro), then you definitely have the battery problem.

Update: The current test I’ve been running has now self-terminated due to the battery running down (though connected to USB as well).

Hello. Just want to clarify this issue I am currently facing:

I am using a battery and have already changed the jumper setting to battery. There will be modem timeout and cannot initialise.

When I use the USB setting, the programme can work properly.

Why is this happening?

Have you changed BOTH jumper settings to battery? Both need to be changed for the Dash to operate properly.

yes. Does the battery voltage have to be a minimum of 3.3V to initialise?

Yes, what kind of voltage are you seeing on your battery?

We are currently working through some scenarios that suggest that a lower battery voltage may cause undefined behavior. We are running a new hardware revision of the Dash that solves these issues, and hope to get it out to you guys very shortly.

If you think you might be having battery charging / voltage issues, please contact us at support@hologram.io and we’ll get you squared away.

we are using a 3V battery

3V is too low for normal operation. Based on our latest findings of the current hardware, it would be safer to go with a higher voltage. We recommend trying 3.7V.

With the new hardware revision coming out, 3.3V batteries will operate fine.

Okay thank you. Will change that.

Hey, I tried with a 3.8V battery. However, there is still modem command timeout issue when initialising. I have already changed the battery jumper settings. What can we do to solve this problem?

Sorry to hear you’re still having modem timeouts - we’re still working on resolving the case where this may happen on initial bootup. If you let it run for a while, do the modem command timeouts persist?

Have you tried the latest RC1 firmware?
http://downloads.konekt.io/dash/system_firmware/dash_system_module_firmware_0.9.4.bin

Yes, we are using the 0.9.4 version and it still persists.

I am using DashPros board version 2015-11-17 with updated firmware. I have been able to get up to about 3 hours of connection until the modem command timeouts happen and then have to cold boot the device to regain connection. Battery charging circuit works well.

Is there any way to cause a cold boot of the modem from application code?
Side Point: I have found that I can still receive SMS most of the time even if SerialCloud pushes gives modem command timeouts.

I found that on a Dash (not the Pro like you’re using, so maybe a difference there) with 0.9.4 FW that the self-healing modem code in the FW kicks in and eventually brings the modem back on line. In my case, with what turned out to be a marginal T-Mobile reception area, that recovery could take 3-4 hours. For what it’s worth…

This thread has been idle for awhile, but I’m still seeing the issues described here. I’m using firmware 0.9.4 RC2 with a dash pro.
My issues are specifically related to lost cellular signal. I’m testing at home by allowing the dash to get a connection and start posting data, then removing the antenna for different time periods, and reconnecting the antenna… I’ve found that my dash recovers well, after having no reception for up to 1 hr. But if the signal is lost for several hours, it never reconnects without cycling power.

Thanks @bairdmar for debugging. I am going to fire up a Pro now and try to reproduce your issue.

Will keep you posted.

Great, I will be very curious to see your results. For what its worth, I tried disconnecting the antenna for 30 minutes, 1 hr, and then about 6 hrs. After 30 minutes it reconnected very quickly to the network, and the same after 1 hour. After 6 hrs it never connected again. So somewhere between 1 hr and 6 hrs seems to be the issue. I realize thats a huge gap, but thats all I’ve got so far.

@bairdmar I was able to confirm the bug today. I compared the new Dash (soon to be released :wink:) with the Pro. The Pro did not recover after being disconnected over an hour but the Dash did. I’m going to get some of the engineers to check this out and follow up with you.

That’s good news! Thanks for the update. I will be anxiously awaiting a resolution (or one of those new Dash’s).

Please keep up us updated about this bug… I was under the impression you guys were still working on it, since I have discovered this long ago. and was waiting for a solution.

A couple of questions regarding this; Does a current dash ‘standard’ (non pro) have this same flaw? Reading through this thread there is some indication that it may recover better than the pro? Also, any eta for the new dash? And finally, any expectation for a fix to the current dash pro? I’m looking for what may come first as I have some of these in a ‘production’ environment and the time out is causing them to be basically no use.
thanks.