Error while trying to use GET in REST Api (postman)

Hi,
I am playing around with the Rest API using postman, I am trying to use this GET https://dashboard.hologram.io/api/1/devices/{deviceid}

the response I get back is:
{

"success": false,

"error": "Not logged in"

}

403Forbidden

beyond the obvious, what does the error mean? I am logged in, I have an active data session going, and I am using my deviceid next to IMEI at the top of the dash board.

please advise.
Regards.

What credentials are you passing to the API? You need to do HTTP basic authentication with your API key. There’s instructions here: Hologram · Apiary

None, as the instructions stated non were needed
I took this to mean all of the methods I will try the API key method authentication thanks.
“This endpoint does not require authentication with your API key, as the webhook GUID serves as an authentication token. In order to generate a webhook URL, please visit the cloud configuration page for your device.This endpoint does not require authentication with your API key, as the webhook GUID serves as an authentication token. In order to generate a webhook URL, please visit the cloud configuration page for your device.”

Can you point to the page where it says that? That doesn’t sound like our docs. All endpoints need authentication for us

Oh I think that’s just for the device webhooks. That’s a different thing than what you’re doing

1 Like

im going by these instruction. which dont mention I neeed to use my device key. at least for post. and even in the GET example that is not mentioned.

Regards

Ok yeah so you need to authenticate for every endpoint by following the instructions in that authentication section. The only exception is for the device webhooks. We’ll see if we can make that more clear

Any by device webhooks I mean the second section in your second link “Send Cloud Message to Device via Webhook”
I think every other endpoint uses our normal API key authentication

1 Like

Reuben,
I see that now. :rofl: the wording wasn’t immediately clear. I obviously skipped a few steps, and jumped only to what I was looking for. :man_facepalming:

Thanks for the assist. Now to piece it all together and figure it out.

1 Like

**For Future USERS **:

I found some instruction which were more clear and explained better. (If you are a visual learner like me)
I would read this first so you get an understanding for how things your be formatted and work.

I was finally able to send POST / GET request! I hope others will find this helpful.

Regards,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.