Java errors, can't program

Error I get when I try to program dash.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingProgrammer(SerialUploader.java:314)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:89)
at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:78)
at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:713)
at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:686)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2135)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I have tried to:
Restart, no luck
Downgrade the hologram board manager, no luck
Go back to latest version, no luck
Download latest version of java, no luck
Install latest version of Arduino IDE, no luck
I can upload to other Arduino boards. Mega works fine.
Another restart, no luck
Tried to update CH340 driver, no luck
Change serial used by IDE, no luck
Any ideas?

Is your serial monitor open when trying to upload? I’ve seen a similar error from the IDE when the monitor is open because the port goes away.

Also try selecting a different board and uploader and then switching back to dash and USB programmer. We’ve seen the IDE get a little weird sometimes and lose some internal state after an upgrade.

I tried to have the monitor window open and closed. Used a different dash. No change. Windows 10 just doesn’t want to seem to work anymore with the dash. I even tried to delete every folder dealing with arduino and the library’s folder. No change. I used an older build of arduino, and even tried the nightly build. No change. Uninstalled java, then reinstalled. All in all around 20 restarts after I tried each item. Just no clue at all. I do believe though that it has nothing to do with the dash or the library for it. It’s all with windows 10. I had an update and then it didn’t work. I tried to roll back that update, but no change. It’s always the same error:

at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingProgrammer(SerialUploader.java:314)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:89)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2149)

I’m on Windows 10 and things are working ok for me.

If you download this utility (standalone dash updater) does it run on your system? http://downloads.hologram.io/dash/updater/dashupdater-0.7.3-i686-mingw32.zip

When you say you deleted everything dealing with arduino, did you try wiping out the entire profile directory? On the latest Arduino it’s in Documents\ArduinoData but it might also be in C:\Users\YourUser.arduino15 or in your Roaming profile directory

Deleted the arduino15 folder and the librarys folder in the documents. Just tried on kubuntu and getting the same errors. So the windows 10 blame isn’t it. I think it might have a library conflicting with another? Anyways, I will try to use the updater and see what that does. Thanks for the reply.

Figured I would throw out the full verbose from when I try to upload.

/opt/arduino-1.8.2/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /opt/arduino-1.8.2/hardware -hardware /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages -tools /opt/arduino-1.8.2/tools-builder -tools /opt/arduino-1.8.2/hardware/tools/avr -tools /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /opt/arduino-1.8.2/libraries -libraries /home/jay777/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=konekt:sam:dash:cpu_speed=speed120,check_update=check,spi_select=spi -ide-version=10802 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_877911 -warnings=none -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_996959 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.dashupdater.path=/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/tools/dashupdater/0.7.3 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1 -verbose /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/libraries/DashExamples/examples/hologram_dash_helloworld/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino
/opt/arduino-1.8.2/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /opt/arduino-1.8.2/hardware -hardware /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages -tools /opt/arduino-1.8.2/tools-builder -tools /opt/arduino-1.8.2/hardware/tools/avr -tools /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /opt/arduino-1.8.2/libraries -libraries /home/jay777/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=konekt:sam:dash:cpu_speed=speed120,check_update=check,spi_select=spi -ide-version=10802 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_877911 -warnings=none -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_996959 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.dashupdater.path=/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/tools/dashupdater/0.7.3 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1 -verbose /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/libraries/DashExamples/examples/hologram_dash_helloworld/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino
Using board ‘dash’ from platform in folder: /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2
Using core ‘arduino’ from platform in folder: /home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2
Detecting libraries used…
"/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -DCLOCK_SETUP=2 -mthumb -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -std=gnu++11 -DFSL_OSA_BM_TIMER_CONFIG=2 -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10802 -DARDUINO_DASH -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -DFSL_OSA_BM_TIMER_CONFIG=2 -DCPU_MK22FN512VLH12 -DNDEBUG “-I/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/cores/arduino” “-I/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/variants/dash” “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/sketch/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.cpp” -o “/dev/null"
Generating function prototypes…
”/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -DCLOCK_SETUP=2 -mthumb -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -std=gnu++11 -DFSL_OSA_BM_TIMER_CONFIG=2 -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10802 -DARDUINO_DASH -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -DFSL_OSA_BM_TIMER_CONFIG=2 -DCPU_MK22FN512VLH12 -DNDEBUG “-I/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/cores/arduino” “-I/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/variants/dash” “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/sketch/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.cpp” -o “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp”
"/opt/arduino-1.8.2/tools-builder/ctags/5.8-arduino11/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c+±kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
Compiling sketch…
”/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -DCLOCK_SETUP=2 -mthumb -c -g -Os -w -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -MMD -std=gnu++11 -DFSL_OSA_BM_TIMER_CONFIG=2 -DARDUINO=10802 -DARDUINO_DASH -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -DFSL_OSA_BM_TIMER_CONFIG=2 -DCPU_MK22FN512VLH12 -DNDEBUG “-I/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/cores/arduino” “-I/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/variants/dash” “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/sketch/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.cpp” -o “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/sketch/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.cpp.o"
Compiling libraries…
Compiling core…
Using previously compiled file: /tmp/arduino_build_877911/core/variant.cpp.o
Using precompiled core
Linking everything together…
”/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc" “-L/tmp/arduino_build_877911” -Os -Wl,–gc-sections -save-temps -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 “-T/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/konekt/hardware/sam/0.10.2/variants/dash/dash.ld” “-Wl,-Map,/tmp/arduino_build_877911/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.map” --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mthumb -Wl,–cref -Wl,–check-sections -Wl,–gc-sections -Wl,–unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,–warn-common -o “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.elf” “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/sketch/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.cpp.o” “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/core/variant.cpp.o” -Wl,–start-group -lm “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/…/arduino_cache_996959/core/core_konekt_sam_dash_cpu_speed_speed120,check_update_check,spi_select_spi_8ec83ac5b62ff427620f4b412b8d9f5a.a” -Wl,–end-group
"/home/jay777/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy" -O binary “/tmp/arduino_build_877911/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.elf” "/tmp/arduino_build_877911/hologram_dash_helloworld.ino.bin"
Sketch uses 35780 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1014764 bytes.
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2135)

Updater does run, but I don’t know where the program/firmware is to do an update.

From the tools menu, make sure for Programmer: the hologram.io USB loader is selected

Ok, I did some reading and got a lot done here.
Found the downloads and loaded the firmware in, reinstalled the COM driver, and pushed the default user program. and I still have a java error. I checked the device manager and it’s showing Konekt Dash Com Port (COM15). Restarted computer and Dashes.

And you’re definitely selecting the Hologram USB programmer in the menu?

I feel like the dumbest kid on the block right now.

I was expecting to just use default programmer like I use for the other arudino boards. Thank you so much for helping to pull me through this rough learning moment.

You’re welcome and don’t feel bad. Sorry for the confusion there. We’ll make sure that’s clear in our tutorials.