Konekt Dash Firmware Thread and Feature Requests

Where we are currently:

We have our firmware USB loader and bootloader both for our modem/networking/cloud stack and the user-programmable microcontroller complete! We can send data and do so well! In fact, in the default mode of operation (simple serial-to-cloud passthrough that acts like a cable replacement), it works out of the box with zero configuration and zero programming. Additionally, for those looking to reprogram our module, we currently have Kinetis Design Studio support and loading firmware images via USB, and are adding the finishes touches on Arduino IDE support/compatibility and are building out our over-the-air update capabilities. In parallel, we will soon be adding the finishing touches on our sleep state options and customizable event handling logic for long-term robust deployments out in the field. Oh, and, we’ve been working on several one-click Konekt Cloud integrations that’ll knock your socks off.

What to expect:

We’re adding neat enhancements all the time. In a recent hardware update, we mentioned that we adopted a two-chip architecture to offload modem/networking/cloud functions away from the user-programmable microcontroller; this gives users more program flash space and more customization surrounding interrupts and watchdogs, offers better cross-compatibility with multiple IDEs and development environments without needing libraries ported, allows better OTA debrickability and built-in debugging and TPM-like features, and allows us to make automated cellular and system event handling easier than ever—simply put, it’s a better out-of-the-box experience with lesser or zero configuration needed to get up and running.

Additionally, we’re adding advanced power management, sleep, and development and debugging/recovery features to our platform to manage the full project development and deployment lifecycle. As we finish our OTA update capabilities, we’re adding into both our PC loader client and Arduino IDE integration native support for programming devices over the web—no need to learn a whole new IDE and environment simply to reprogram a device in the field, since it will now be as simple as reprogramming a device physically connected to your computer. We are also developing several off-the-shelf firmware example images, some of which satisfy common use cases without needing much or any reprogramming.

This thread exists for us to talk about new firmware ideas and - more importantly - for you to tell us what you’re looking for!

So post and ask away to your hearts content :smile:

I want to save power. I want to do this using a sleep/wake cycle. How can I do this with the current hardware without needing to use an external crystal/RTC? In other words, what clocks do you have on board and what are their accuracy? Can I sleep the unit for 5 minutes with <1 second of drift? Is there more than 1 timer accessible in various sleep states? Are the timer/timers associated with one chip or the other, or both? How can the firmware help us make use of them?
Sorry about the goofy question. If I haven’t explained it, let me know

Those LEDs are super bright
:open_mouth:
Is there a way to turn them off, especially when running on batteries? (Maybe they already turn off when only on batteries…Haven’t tested)

Could you have as part of Arduino…FlexRAM as EEPROM?
To have Write endurance > 1M writes Typ.