Method of powering the Nova USB

I am using a Hologram Nova with a Raspberry Pi (B+). In bad coverage conditions the Nova draws more current than the Pi can provide, resulting in a crash. Are there any pads on the Nova board that allow me to supply power directly to it or do I have to use a powered USB hub?

Never mind: resolved this by adding the following lines to /boot/config.txt:

# Allow more power to be drawn from the USB ports, needed for cellular modem max_usb_current=1

Hey Rod,

As an addition to this, I just wanted to point out that we recommend using 2.4+ amp power supplies to power a device hosting a Nova to avoid brownouts. Specially with the 2g/3g Nova, the power draw is substantial during information transmission so you want to avoid a peak during transmission from affecting your hardware.

Best,
Maiky

Understood, I am aware that cellular 2G/3G can have high peak currents during transmit in poor coverage conditions. Those using any cellular module (this is in no way specific to the Nova) with a Raspberry Pi or similar platform that might be weedy in the USB power supply department just need to be aware of this and take appropriate action.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.