NodeMCU is unable to connect to the RaspPi Access Point after a reboot

I was working through the Raspberry Pi Cellular Gateway Tutorial and I was striking an odd issue. I was able to solve the issue, so I just thought I would share my findings in case anyone else runs into the same issue - I would also welcome any comments.

I am using a Raspberry Pi Zero with Raspbian Stretch Lite, November 2017.

On the initial setup, the NodeMCU was able to connect to the friendly-raspberry Access Point and the messages were sent fine. However, after a reboot of the Raspberry Pi Zero, although I could connect to the friendly-raspberry from the Lap Top, the Node MCU could not make a connection. The SSID could be found - just no connection.

Only after re-issuing the following commands, would the NodeMCU suddenly be able to make a connection

sudo service hostapd start 
sudo service isc-dhcp-server start

I went over the steps a couple of times and could not fault what I had done. Reading though this entry on the Raspberry Pi forum, I added the following line to the /etc/network/interfaces file, just above the allow-hotplug wlan0 line.

auto wlan0

After a reboot, the NodeMCU is able to connect without any further issue and start sending messages.

Although it is working, I am still a little unsure about this as a solution since the Adafruit guide for the same Access Point set up, explicitly says to comment out that line if it exists.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.