Nova modem connection troubles -"Failed to start PPP"

Hello folks,
I’m having trouble getting a ppp connection on my Beaglebone Pocket with my new Nova (1.0 rev J) using Hologram CLI 0.8.2. The modem appears on /dev/ttyACM0-6. It responds to my AT commands.

I have confirmed that this SIM card is “active” on the Hologram dashboard.

“sudo hologram network connect” after a timeout, finally returns “Failed to start PPP”

I used “screen” terminal to communicate with the modem directly to see if I could determine what was wrong. I used the chatscript provided for Nova to confirm I can communicate with the modem using the AT commands, which does “CONNECT” and send me some jibberish before “NO-CARRIER”

AT
OK 
ATH
OK 
ATZ 
OK 
ATQ0
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","hologram"
OK
ATDT*99***1#
CONNECT
~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&ִ�9}'}"}(}"W�~
NO CARRIER

Can anyone here suggest how to proceed to debug and get this going?

I’d be happy not using the python bits, if possible. I don’t know what to do with the non-AT commands nor the “peer” file for ppp.

Thanks for any guidance at all.