Nova R404M Connectivity

I recently pulled out my pre-order Nova LTE Cat-M1 for a project I’m working on and I’m having a heck of a time getting connectivity. I’m running hologram 0.9.0 with python 3.7.3 on an Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 1 (yeah, I know it’s old) that’s running Debian Buster. Below is some output that will hopefully help and it includes the AT troubleshooting commands suggested. That output came from a python script I wrote to run everything fast so if the formatting looks strange, that’s probably why. Any help would be greatly appreciated

serialoutput.pdf (22.9 KB)

pi@watersensor:~ $ sudo hologram network connect -vv
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: ('12d1', '1001')
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: ('12d1', '1506')
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: ('1546', '1102')
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: ('1546', '1104')
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: ('05c6', '90b2')
INFO: Detected modem NovaM
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB0
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT]
DEBUG: {AT}
DEBUG: {OK}
INFO: found working port at ttyUSB1
INFO: chatscript file: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/chatscripts/default-script
DEBUG: [ATE0]
DEBUG: {ATE0}
DEBUG: [AT+CMEE=2]
DEBUG: {}
DEBUG: [AT+CPIN?]
DEBUG: {+CPIN: READY}
DEBUG: [AT+CPMS="ME","ME","ME"]
DEBUG: {+CPMS: 0,23,0,23,0,23}
DEBUG: [AT+CMGF=0]
DEBUG: [AT+CNMI=2,1]
DEBUG: [AT+CEREG=2]
INFO: Instantiated a NovaM interface with device name of /dev/ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT+CGMM]
DEBUG: {SARA-R404M-00B}
INFO: Connecting to cell network with timeout of 200 seconds
INFO: Checking for existing PPP sessions
INFO: Starting pppd
ERROR: Modem hangup - possibly due to an unregistered SIM
DEBUG: Killing pppd
INFO: Failed to connect to cell network
Failed to start PPP
pi@watersensor:~ $`

Quick update. I relocated the pi and Nova to another location hoping that I perhaps had a signal issue. After a reboot, antenna re-attach, and SIM re-seat I’m still not seeing any difference. Hoping to hear from someone at Hologram…

We’ll get back to you on this. The R404 has been phased out in favor of the R410 and there really aren’t many still in the wild.
In the meantime can you go through our SIM troubleshooting guides?

Oh, I see you went through one of those already. This one might be helpful as well: https://support.hologram.io/hc/en-us/articles/360035697373-How-do-I-clear-the-FPLMN-list-

Hi Reuben,

Thanks for that additional article, that helped a lot. It seems that FPLMN was not cleared for my modem. After setting AT+CFUN=0 for a low power mode, setting FPLMN with at+crsm=214,28539,0,0,12,"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF", and then setting AT+CFUN=1 again my modem is on and I’m seeing both the red and blue lights. Since then i’m seeing lots of crashes of the pi so I’ve been unable to get good troubleshooting values off the serial port. Right now I’m moving the device over to a BeagleBone Black as I’m much more confident of it’s ability to source power and stay stable. I’ll follow up after I get Python 3.7.5 compiled on there and have the hologram sdk installed. Fingers crossed this gets me through the woods.

Regarding the R404; I’d be happy to send it back to you guys (or swing by in person) if you’d swap me out a R410 :smile:

Following up again; I’ve moved over to a BeagleBone Black, upgraded to buster, and I’m using python 3.7.3 that comes along with the OS. After another couple rounds of using at+crsm to clear FPLMN, the modem appears to be functional. Simple test messages from the CLI work but often fail the first time I try them (trace below). I’ve also seen at least one power issue where when left alone for a few days the modem is no longer seen on the BBB. A reset of the device brings the modem back but this isn’t really a good solution as I expect my device to go weeks/months without needing to send message via hologram.

If anyone has any more suggestions on how to actually make this stable, I’d love to hear them. If ultimately this R404 is the issue, I would certainly consider getting another device before abandoning all together.

ERROR: AttributeError(“‘list’ object has no attribute ‘startswith’”)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/hologram”, line 181, in
if name == ‘main’: main()
File “/usr/local/bin/hologram”, line 177, in main
command_handlerscommand_selected_prefix
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/scripts/hologram_send.py”, line 1 61, in run_hologram_send
run_hologram_send_cloud(args)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/scripts/hologram_send.py”, line 1 67, in run_hologram_send_cloud
sendTOTP(args, data)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/scripts/hologram_send.py”, line 7 5, in sendTOTP
hologram = HologramCloud(dict(), authentication_type=‘totp’, network=‘cellul ar’)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/HologramCloud.py”, line 70, in init
network=network)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/CustomCloud.py”, line 35 , in init
network=network)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Cloud.py”, line 36, in _ init

self.initializeNetwork(network)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Cloud.py”, line 50, in i nitializeNetwork
self._networkManager = NetworkManager.NetworkManager(self.event, network)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/NetworkManager.p y”, line 37, in init
self.network = network
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/NetworkManager.p y”, line 68, in network
self._network.autodetect_modem()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Cellular.py”, li ne 51, in autodetect_modem
self.modem = dev_devices[0]
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Cellular.py”, li ne 224, in modem
self._modem = self._modemHandlersmodem
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/NovaM.py”, line 31, in init
if(“R404” in modem_id):
TypeError: argument of type ‘NoneType’ is not iterable

Shoot us an email at support@hologram.io and we’ll see what we can do

1 Like

Checking back in here, thank you for the replacement modem. I haven’t been able to get the new modem working with my old SIM and wasn’t sure if that was even possible. Do I need to add a new device, add the SIM, or something else?

Old SIM should work, but may take a little while to register with default settings. You may want to run through the SIM diagnostic list again and confirm FPLMN list is clear.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware

Another check-in now that I’m starting to look at things again after the holidays. So far so good, I did a firmware upgrade per Reuben’s suggestion and every day I walk by the BBB I see both red and blue lights happily lit. I was able to ssh in and send myself a test message just now with complete success. Looking like I might be in the clear at this point, thanks for all the help!

1 Like