Nova R410M on Raspberry Pi 3B+ No Modem Detected

I successfully ran curl -L hologram.io/python-install | bash plus python-update. Now when attempting to connect I get “Modem not detected.” The device is visible on lsub:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05c6:900e Qualcomm, Inc.

When I run sudo echo:

sudo sh -c 'echo -n 05c6 900e > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id’

and then try:

sudo hologram modem connect -v

I get:

INFO: No modem found. Loading drivers and retrying.
INFO: Loading module option for novam
ERROR: Modem not detected.

This SIM card was activated last year and has been operational before. Any next steps to take?

There should be 2 ports available on the R410, only one is usable for running AT commands. Our script checks all available ports in the TTY/usb* path. If you unplug and plug the device back in do you see multiple ports available? if you only see the one than I’m not sure its possible to communicate with the device.

Yes I see two, USB0 and USB1. When running commands via screen, I get constant errors and crashes. For example:

+CME ERROR: operation not supported

Thats not unusal to get, like if you type something wrong or forget a parameter or if the operation just times out in general. The fact its responding is really all the SDK looks for. So if you use screen and just type AT it should just respond OK and thats how the SDK looks for available ports for modems.

AT returns OK. I guess I am just stuck with how to fix this. No lights are on the module, nothing works.

AT+CGDCONT? returns:

+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,"",“0.0.0.0”,0,0,0,0

So the APN isn’t set but that is usually handled by the SDK. the command for that is AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","hologram"

Okay, new update. Ran sudo hologram network connect -v and now have a modem hangup- possibly due to unregistered SIM. Failed to start PPP.

It’s definitely registered.

can you post the output from sudo hologram network connect -vv

Sure here it is, also I appreciate your help. Been stuck with this for a few day:

sudo hologram network connect -vv
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘12d1’, ‘1001’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘12d1’, ‘1506’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘1546’, ‘1102’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘1546’, ‘1104’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘05c6’, ‘90b2’)
INFO: Detected modem NovaM
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB0
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT]
DEBUG: {AT}
DEBUG: {OK}
INFO: found working port at ttyUSB1
INFO: chatscript file: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/chatscripts/default-script
DEBUG: [ATE0]
DEBUG: {ATE0}
DEBUG: [AT+CMEE=2]
DEBUG: {}
DEBUG: [AT+CPIN?]
DEBUG: {+CPIN: READY}
DEBUG: [AT+CPMS=“ME”,“ME”,“ME”]
DEBUG: {+CPMS: 0,23,0,23,0,23}
DEBUG: [AT+CMGF=0]
DEBUG: [AT+CNMI=2,1]
DEBUG: [AT+CEREG=2]
INFO: Instantiated a NovaM interface with device name of /dev/ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT+CGMM]
DEBUG: {SARA-R410M-02B}
INFO: Connecting to cell network with timeout of 200 seconds
INFO: Checking for existing PPP sessions
INFO: Starting pppd
ERROR: Modem hangup - possibly due to an unregistered SIM
DEBUG: Killing pppd
INFO: Failed to connect to cell network
Failed to start PPP

hmm weird it looks like its registered on the network. Can you run AT+CREG?, AT+CGREG? AT+CEREG? and AT+COPS? CEREG looks like its registered but worth seeing other network states

Sure here’s the output:

AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,6

AT+CGREG?
+CGREG: 0,4

AT+CEREG?
+CEREG: 0,6

AT+COPS?
+COPS: 0

So its not connected to any networks based on that output which makes sense why PPP would not work. Are you sure your sim is in a good state? not suspended or anything?

Correct, it is not suspended. It has a status of “READY” on the hologram interface. The antenna is secure as well as the sim card in it.

Hmm I would run through this document: https://support.hologram.io/hc/en-us/articles/360035697393-Modem-SIM-Annotated-Diagnostic-Test but its not on a network and its not registered based on what you sent me.

AT+COPS? returns 0. Should it be returning “+COPS: 1,2,“310260”,2” accordin to the link?

Not quite it should return +COPS: 1,2,“Whatever network its on”, some # related to the network type

COPS=0 means its on no network.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.