OrangePi SMS trouble

Has anyone successfully used an OrangePi 2G IoT device with hologram? I’m trying to do some basic things like connect and send an sms but can’t seem to even connect to the network. Here’s my setup. Would appreciate anyone able to point out what I’ve missed or how to troubleshot this further.

Using an Orange Pi IoT running Debian linux and using minicom on /dev/modem0

AT
OK
AT+CFUN=1
OK
+CIEV: service, 0
+CIEV: roam, 0
+CREG: 2
+CGREG: 0
ATI
RDA
RDA MODULE ID
OK
AT+CMGF=1
OK

I believe the CREG and CGREG codes mean that it’s searching and then unable to connect. If you’ve been able to successfully connect to hologram using the serial interface on Linux, I’d be interested to know the steps you used. Thanks…

Hi @Jlh, welcome!

Just to verify, is this the device you’re using?

Also, support for 2G devices is quickly going away. Could you check on this map that you have coverage for 2G service? Coverage Maps | Opensignal

In the states, for instance, you’ll need T-mobile coverage where you are to get 2G coverage. They are the only provider who still offers the service.

Yes, this is the device. A better link may be http://www.orangepi.org/OrangePi2GIOT/

So I’ve tried doing some more troubleshooting and I simply can’t register to the network. I’m in the DC area and T-Mobile has coverage all over near me. What’s the best troubleshooting start-point? Thanks…

what modem are you using?

You will need to setup APN first.

Once you set up the APN you should get connectivity

Andrei

Andrei,

I’m using an Orange Pi 2G IoT device (http://www.orangepi.org/OrangePi2GIOT/). I believe I’ve tried that as well but still no luck. Was wondering if anyone else had a series of AT commands that were successful. I’ve tried several things and its like the SIM won’t register with the network. Starting to wonder if the SIM or board is bad.

ryanHologram had suggested in another post (Device Not Registering/No Network Available) running the following commands and posting their output so I’ll give that a shot.

root@OrangePI:~# minicom

Welcome to minicom 2.7

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Apr 26 2017, 00:45:18.
Port /dev/modem0, 05:22:49

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

at
OK
ati
RDA
RDA MODULE ID
OK
at+cgmi
RDA
OK
at+cgmm
RDA MODULE ID
OK
at+gmm
RDA MODULE ID
OK
at+cpin?
+CPIN:READY
OK
at+ccid
+CME ERROR:58
at+ccid
+CME ERROR:58
AT+CRSM=176,28539,0,0,12
+CRSM:144,0,FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
OK
AT+CFUN?
+CFUN: 0
OK
AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 0,0
OK
AT+CREG?
+CREG: 1,10
OK
AT+CGREG?
+CGREG: 0,0,“00”,“00”,0
OK
AT+CGDCONT?
OK
AT+CGACT?
+CGACT: 0,0
OK
AT+COPS?
+COPS: 2
OK
AT+COPS=?
+CME ERROR:256

Hi Mate

Not too sure about all the other commands and what the errors mean

You should run a command to set the APN and then dial in

from the Hologram CLI code

OK ATH
OK ATZ
OK ATQ0
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,“hologram”
OK ATDT99**1#
CONNECT ‘’

Andrei

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.