Pi locks up when trying to reset the R410 Modem

I’ve noticed an issue with my Pi zero and hologram R410M nova. I’ve been having good success with cellular connectivity running the hologram network connect command, occasionally the connection fails so i ran a hologram modem reset command to see if that will help. I see both lights turn off on the nova and back on again but my pi completely locks up. I can’t SSH into it, the keyboard, mouse and display completely freeze. I’ve left it for a few hours and end up having to give it a hard shutdown. I’ve checked some AT commands and it does the exact same thing with AT+CFUN=0, AT+CFUN=1 and AT+CFUN=15

I’ve checked my /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log and none of them log anything from these lockup events. I’m not sure how to troubleshoot this issue.

Do you have a good power supply for the RPI? The Nova could draw large (Id say up to 1/2 amp, but probably less) power during power cycle and after reboot. Id make sure you have a 2A supply. Only thing I can think of at this time. Really nothing the Nova does should completely kill the RPI, unless you get a brownout.

Thank you, I had a good power supply but it turned out to be the cable, some are too small of wire gauge i guess. On another note i have written some code to reset the modem if the hologram network connect command fails to connect twice and it seems to work so far.

Hi, are you performing the reset using Hologram tools, or in your own way?

-Matt

Hate to revive this thread, but I’m having the same issue.

I have a battery that supplies 1A, and my NovaM is turning on (blue light) but not connecting (no red light). Is this because of the modem not getting 2A?

I only had the issue when i ran the hologram modem reset command or reset it via AT commands. The modem for sure does need a good 2A power supply. My remote weather station uses a 12V battery with a 3A 12V to usb power DC converter: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00QTJWRFW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whether this is causing your lack of red light is possible but hard to say without more info. Have you tried running any AT commands to see if you can detect towers or if your modem is registered on the network? If not i can dig up the thread on here that helped me a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.