Prohibitive cost model for SSL/TLS connections

Hello,

Just received my first hologram sim card (thanks for shipping it so quickly!).

I’m building a custom GPS tracker with google cloud functions as a backend. The tracker connects to the backend using google protocol buffers. Each message is ~ 23bytes before being put on the “wire”. This happens every minute. Message is sent over TLS to the backend and then modem switched of to preserve the battery life (so no keep-alive is really possible).

As we know TLS encryption in TCP connections ads quite a big of overhead when it comes to amount of bytes exchanged over the wire for each connection [http - How much network overhead does TLS add compared to a non-encrypted connection? - Stack Overflow]

So with my calculations it would seem that the hologram costs are prohibitive (correct me please if I’m wrong - as I might have missed something obvious which would enable me to save on the amount of bytes being exchanged).

A rough estimation for a single device running for one month and posting data every minute.
1 connection (POST over HTTPS/TLS): ~6.15 KB

6.15KB * 60 mins * 24 hrs * 31 days = 274,536KB = 274.536MB - according to the data plans that you have made available this would amount to ~ 110 USD ?

And this is with a minute frequency! Ideally I would be posting the data more often!

Again - thanks for shipping the Sim card so quickly. I think your product is great, I like how one can make use of your APIs to integrate to automated pipelines etc. Just that the pricing is a bit high ?

Cheers,
Rafal

If you need more data we have have plans that cover higher use cases like yours: IoT Data Plans & Pricing

I would suggest that you consider your actual needs vs what your ideal for your project is. As far as I know, most of our customers who have asset trackers aren’t constantly sending location data unless their assets are actually in movement, otherwise they tend to check in less frequently. The price reflects benefits you get in carrier fallback and global coverage along with access to our platform.

Hi @jahmal, and welcome to our community!

Dom is correct that there are plans better-suited for addressing your main concern at that amount of usage. Frequency of sending a message is certainly a good thing to consider as well (for example: maybe varying frequency of sending messages based upon speed/movement).

TLS is a common hot topic for cellular-connected IoT, and there are a few options here.

Option A: Use a Symmetric-key Cipher

A symmetric-key cipher would require you to load a pre-shared symmetric key on devices (or otherwise implement an Initial Key Exchange protocol—perhaps an initial pairing handshake over TLS upon initial boot to download/upload/exchange keys :slight_smile:?).

Also, a properly-implemented and attack-resistant symmetric-key cipher would require some padding, so the encrypted payload would still be slightly larger than the plaintext, but it would only be slightly larger than the plaintext and way less in size than an entire TLS handshake-then-send-TCP-payload (and significantly way less in size than TLS handshake-then-send-HTTP-payload). This would require a custom server listening on a TCP socket, so you’d need to consider that when looking into cloud services (AWS and other cloud hosting providers do support this, even with high availability configurations utilizing load balancers!).

You never want to roll-your-own crypto if there’s a suitable off-the-shelf hardened implementation, which there undoubtedly is for AES and other symmetric-key ciphers; just note that IKE protocols are commonly attacked as well as ciphers themselves, so be cognizant of your threat model. A lot of resource-constrained devices opt for IKE followed by symmetric-key encryption, and it isn’t insane to do so when you consider how TLS works and how a badly-implemented TLS can be exceptionally weak, which takes us to Option B…

Option B: Use TLS with Session Resumption

How TLS works is it actually negotiates which ciphers and versions are mutually acceptable between the client and server, then validates the public key used for IKE via a Certificate Authority, followed by generating an ephemeral symmetric key, exchanges the ephemeral symmetric key over its IKE protocol, and then uses the ephemeral session key for encrypting/decrypting the payload data. So, TLS combines IKE (using an asymmetric-key cipher) and the use of a symmetric-key cipher for payload delivery.

In order for a TLS implementation to be secure, all of these steps must be hardened—the Certificate Authority validation, the random number generation, the IKE, and the symmetric-key cipher—and both the client and server must maintain an up-to-date list of which ciphers and versions are not known to be weak and reject any that are. So, you need a hardened TLS implementation to start with, and need a hardened update process. (You would want these for Option A too, but just pointing out for anyone reading that TLS isn’t magically secure without these other considerations being covered as well.)

The pain-point for TLS data usage is that performing the TLS handshake over and over again is costly (and especially noticeable when your payload is significantly less in size than the handshake itself). For this reason, there exist several TLS-related RFCs that define optional TLS modes that enable TLS session resumption, which reduces the number of times the handshake/IKE need to be performed. Some IoT server/client implementations that leverage TLS session resumption have extended the maximum session lengths to cover very long periods of time.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction and excited to hear how the project goes!

Best,
PFW

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.