service needed for 3 months out of year

Hi,

I have an application (irrigation) where a device will be used for 3 months out of the year. Can a Hologram SIM be disabled and then re-enabled every year to reduce costs during unused months, or how is this situation best handled.

Thanks,
Cliff

Hey @cbrake,

Hologram SIMs can’t be disabled once activated given that networks require all activated SIMs to pay a network registration fee for their entire lifetime.

For these types of use cases we recommend setting the SIM’s plan to the Flexible plan when not being used to have the lowest possible monthly network fee (it’s base cost). Furthermore, pausing data will also ensure you don’t get charged for any unforeseen data usage.

Best,
Maiky

Makes sense. Found this with a little more detail:

https://hologram.io/docs/guide/account/faq/

If I understand correctly, paused SIMs are only $0.40/mo, vs the $1 or whatever the base cost is for active sims.

Thanks,
Cliff

Hey Cliff @cbrake,

The pricing on that page is for our legacy plans which are only available to users who had active SIMs before our pricing change early this year. The amount you would pay for a SIM each billing cycle (30 days) regardless of usage, is the Base Cost. This changes from plan to plan but the lowest available to all users is the Flexible plan which gets cheaper the more devices you have.

Best,
Maiky

Thanks for the clarification.

My pleasure Cliff!

Happy to help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.