SIM7000A Cannot connect - Not registered

I purchased a Botletics SIM7000A Arduino shield from Amazon, and ordered two SIM cards from Hologram. I activated the two SIM cards, and on my Hologram dashboard the status for each shows up as “Your SIM is activated and ready for use.” Neither card is connecting - it appears they do not register with the cellular network.

Using the SIM7000-LTE-Shield Github application, I am able to read the SIM CCID:
FONA> C
—> AT+CCID
<— 8944502…
SIM CCID = 8944502…

I have good signal strength:
FONA> i
—> AT+CSQ
<— +CSQ: 31,99
RSSI = 31: -52 dBm
FONA>

However, Enable Cellular Data fails:
FONA> G
—> AT+CIPSHUT
<— SHUT OK
—> AT+CGATT=1
<—
Failed to turn on
FONA>

Network status shows as not registered:
FONA> n
—> AT+CGREG?
<— +CGREG: 0,0
Network status 0: Not registered

Network connection info also gives an error:
FONA> l
—> AT+CIPGSMLOC=1,1
<— ERROR
Failed!

I created a tunnel to directly send commands using the S command. I tried the modem commands troubleshooting instructions on the “Connecting to Network” wiki page. Here is what I see for the available cellular providers:
AT+COPS=?
+COPS: (3,“Verizon”,“Verizon”,“311480”,7),(0,1,2,3,4),(0,1,2)

OK
Attempting to connect to Verizon directly does not work either:
OK
AT+COPS=3,“311480”,7
ERROR

I used modem command troubleshooting commands from the Hologram help pages also without any success:
AT+CFUN=1
OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,“hologram”
OK
AT+CMNB=1
OK
AT+CIPSTATUS
OK

STATE: PDP DEACT
AT+CIPSHUT
SHUT OK
AT+CIPSTATUS
OK

STATE: IP INITIAL
AT+CSTT="hologram"
OK
AT+CIICR
+PDP: DEACT

ERROR

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Frank

Try running through these:

Thanks, Reuben, for the information.

I ran the diagnostic tests and have emailed the output results to support.

I also tried clearing the FPLMN list, however, that did not have any effect on the problem.

Ok, I haven’t tried that board personally but there are others on the forums here who have so maybe you can try searching around for other threads.

I have the same module and was having the same problem… Good signal strength, can see networks but when I try to connect it stalls out and I get ERROR.

Turns out this module needs just the right amount of power to work correctly. Powering it off a USB port on a laptop or a Raspberry Pi won’t cut it. I had to connect the USB port on the module to a high output charger and communicate with it over UART using the TX/RX pins.

Hope that helps.

Glad that worked for you.

I’m already using a lithium ion battery, charged by the USB. Without the battery, the Arduino reboots before I even get to the FONA prompt.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.