sim900, 2G support NYC?

I am trying to test a sim900 in NYC for use in another country. It has been tested there, where 4G IOT is not yet available and functions properly.

Reading this article I am unclear if new sims can be activated on a 2G network in New York.

Fona 808 another GPRS module is first on the list of compatiability here, but not specific to region.

Trying with two different sim900 boards, using FTDI cable for serial and 5V 3A power supply to power the boards.

AT
OK

AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

OK

AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 0,0

OK

AT+CBAND?
+CBAND: INVALID_BAND_MODE,ALL_BAND

OK

AT+CMGF=1
OK

AT+CIPSHUT
SHUT OK

AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 0,0

OK

AT+CGATT?
+CGATT: 0

OK

AT+CGATT=1
ERROR

AT+CIPMUX=1
OK

AT+CSTT="hologram"
ERROR

AT+CIICR
ERROR

AT+CIFSR
ERROR

The +CSQ: 0,0 is particularly concerning. Getting this with two different modules.

Firmware version was updated recently,

AT+GSV
SIMCOM_Ltd
SIMCOM_SIM900
Revision:1137B06SIM900M64_ST_ENHANCE

OK
AT+COPS=?
+COPS:  ,,(0,1,4),(0,2)

OK

Using sim7000 or a 4G cell phone the sim cards connect so they are activated properly.

The lack of seeing anything with COPS? likely means no network is available. Only T-Mobile still as 2G in the USA and not full nationwide coverage. So basically 2G still works whereever you can get signal but that may not be easy.

I have 2G working with hologram at my house (Los Angeles) so it still works with Hologram.

Thanks @AndrewGifft. I moved to another area of the city and was able to connect after some time. I used an old 2G phone to find a place with network.

HI
I am in Bangalore India and have used the Hologram SIMs here with 2G SIM800 etc. They do work, So I guess it must be that you do not have 2G signal support there.

Hi Mohandas. I’m observing PDP context activation issue with some towers in India. Have you ever observed such problems?

Fellow NYer, occasionally my Hologram Dash units would switch to T-Mobile on 2G but RSSI was low and OTA updates would not work reliably. T-Mobile probably only allocates a sliver of their Band 2 (1900 MHz) spectrum to 2G if at all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.