Troubleshooting USB programming

I have used the arduino integration guide on a MacBook and PC and both fail to upload to a Dash Pro when python takes over, so how is anyone getting anything done?

Is the guide outdated? This is the one I made use of GitHub - HologramEducation/hologram-dash-arduino-integration: Files necessary to add Hologram Dash and Hologram Dash Pro boards to the Arduino IDE
Or is the example sketch no good: hologram-dash-arduino-examples/konekt_dash_helloworld.ino at master · HologramEducation/hologram-dash-arduino-examples · GitHub

This is what python complains with:
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\konekt.io\dash/tools/update_dash.py”, line 42
print msg
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to ‘print’

In addition, at least on Windows, I get an Unknown USB device error.

Hi, what version of Python are you using? You probably need to be on 2.7 for the script to work.

Installed 2.7, restarted - now I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\konekt.io\dash/tools/update_dash.py”, line 26, in
import hid
ImportError: No module named hid

Still getting that unrecognized USB device when I push the programming button on my Dash Pro (beta).

You need to install a few dependencies for this to all work. See this post: https://community.konekt.io/t/dash-beta-experiences-and-troubleshooting/75/3?u=reuben

Sorry for the complications. We’re working on getting this all into a single installer.

Got it, I will give that post a read and reply back with results~

Edit:
Followed the steps outlined on that post, I get this error now:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\konekt.io\dash/tools/update_dash.py”, line 83, in
update(args.path, log_file_handler=f)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\konekt.io\dash/tools/update_dash.py”, line 48, in update
h.open(vid, pid)
File “hid.pyx”, line 62, in hid.device.open (hid.c:1471)
IOError: open failed

I’m thinking my timing with the programming button, but haven’t been able to nail it yet - maybe that is not it.

Edit:
Found this: https://community.konekt.io/t/dash-is-not-enumerated-when-connected-via-usb-on-linux-ioerror-open-failed/105
This could be my issue, testing.

Edit:
That was it - plugged it in to a USB 3.0 adapter card (more power) and it took the example arduino sketch - time to plan this out and pour over the docs.

Hey, glad you got it up and running. Sorry for the problems. We’re working on better docs and installers so there are fewer hoops to jump through.

I’m just gonna change the title here, if you don’t mind, so that people can find this thread if they’re looking for useful info. Definitely some good troubleshooting stuff in here.

I’m glad we can make use of my experience to improve upon for others - that’s what a community is for!