Updating the Cat-M1-R410 on SparkFun's shield

Hello,

After many attempts to send data or messages with SparkFun’s Cat-M1-R410 I found this update for the same module on Nova. It was facing the same issue we have with SparkFun’s shield.

I contacted SparkFun’s and they told me to contact Hologram support for the firmware update. How could we update the firmware for Cat-M1-R410 that resides on SparkFun’s shield ?

I get connection but there is no data or messages transmission and the module stuck when it opens a socket !

This AT command stuck forever !

AT+USOCO=0,“cloudsocket.hologram.io”,9999

Regards,

Our firmware updater is designed to run on a Linux machine that can connect to the serial port on the modem, like our Nova R410 which accesses the port via USB.
I’m not familiar with how that shield works, but if you have access to the serial port you can try our updater script. Otherwise, only sparkfun would know how to update the firmware on there.

There might be other people on this forum who have done it though and maybe someone else can provide advice.

Yes I can access the serial port on the modem in SparkFun shield.

That link you posted should have all the instructions so you can give it a try

@gadolly did you have any luck with this? just got one of these shields and wondering if this is the right direction to take (up in Canada on Rogers).

Got the firmware updated from L0.0.00.00.05.06 to .05.08 on my Sparkfun LTE shield. Had to set python3.7 as the default python version on a pi and use pip3 to get the update script to work. I also had to close the Vbus detect jumper on the shield and connect it to the pi via USB. Took about 15 minutes for the firmware to finish updating.

Going to try a TCP connection to hologram again. I’ll post the results.

Worked! I no longer get a “socket unavailable” error while using sparkfun’s library. I didn’t get a message sent confirmation, but I did see the data show up on my dashboard.

Im pushing your memory here a bit, but what all did you have to do to update this? I have, through brute force, gotten the update software to run on an ubuntu vm. I am unable to see the device on the linux vm though. I soldered the VUSB_DET pads closed, but am unable to see it in windows or the devices to pass through to the VM. Any help would be appreciated!

I updated mine using a pi. It sounds like you need to install a driver for the Sara r410 on your windows machine so that you can then connect it to your vm. U-blox might have a driver you can download.