Unable to receive message from dashboard

Ok I finally got an R410 that works, the first one I grabbed from the office was also broken but I think it was one that was returned to us.

Anyways, I am also unable to get any messages from the cloud. Sending works fine but inbound data does not seem to be getting through. Thats unfortunate since it works fine on the older model and the modem I tested it on was fresh out of the box. Will look into this more since running the script seems to work fine, it creates the socket and everything, but just never receives data.

Hey, thanks for trying. That sounds like the exact same experience I am having - script runs fine and reports success, but never receives data. It is unfortunate, but a bit of a relief on my end because I have been trying everything with no success, and now I know it isn’t just me or something weird with how I have my pi’s set up.

Definitely let me know if you find any solutions here. I’m eager to scale up a bit, but can’t until I know this communication is reliable. Thanks!

we will try changing some things to see if we can get it to work properly. If we figure it out we can configure modems coming out of the factory with the settings so ideally it would be fixed for everyone going forward. I’ll update you if I find anything.

1 Like

Regrettably I appear to be having the same issues. Purchased a Nova from Mouser, showed up yesterday and I’ve been fighting to get it to receive data. I appear to be able to send data out from the device and I even got a route up to forward the message as send from the CLI to email. (Though the route appears to need work as it is forwarding messages sent from the Dashboard to the device as well).

However - I cannot for all my frustrations get the device to receive a message - my device simply never picks up the message(s).

Blockquote
RPI-GATE:~ $ sudo hologram receive -vv
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘12d1’, ‘1001’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘12d1’, ‘1506’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘1546’, ‘1102’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘1546’, ‘1104’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘05c6’, ‘90b2’)
INFO: Detected modem NovaM
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB0
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT]
DEBUG: {}
DEBUG: {OK}
INFO: found working port at ttyUSB1
INFO: chatscript file: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/chatscripts/default-script
DEBUG: [ATE0]
DEBUG: [AT+CMEE=2]
DEBUG: [AT+CPIN?]
DEBUG: {+CPIN: READY}
DEBUG: [AT+CPMS=“ME”,“ME”,“ME”]
DEBUG: {+CPMS: 0,23,0,23,0,23}
DEBUG: [AT+CMGF=0]
DEBUG: [AT+CNMI=2,1]
DEBUG: [AT+CEREG=2]
INFO: Instantiated a NovaM interface with device name of /dev/ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT+CGMM]
DEBUG: {SARA-R410M-02B}
DEBUG: [AT+CCID]
DEBUG: {+CCID: 8944500105191493819}
DEBUG: [AT+CIMI]
DEBUG: {234500007149381}
DEBUG: [AT+USOCR=6]
DEBUG: {+USOCR: 0}
DEBUG: [AT+USOLI=0,4010]
Ready to receive data on port 4010

What I have tried from the Hologram dashboard Messaging tab:

• SMS: Message and ‘from number’ (assuming this is not going to be received based on my reading as the command ‘sudo hologram receive -vv’ appears to open a port for data (4010) instead of SMS receive?)
  • Cloud Data:
    Data: “just a plain string of data”
    Port: 4010 (left at default)
    Protocol: TCP (left at default)
  • Cloud Data:
    Data: {“gate”:“open”} - I can’t tell from the example page https://www.hologram.io/guides/sending-messages-to-a-device if those are {} or () because the picture is too small and there isn’t a text based example. So I’ve tried both.
    Port: 4010 (left at default)
    Protocol: TCP (left at default)

Nothing is ever returned at the command line.

I’ve also tried from the link above to start a test server as recommended with “nc -l -p 4010” though I’m less certain of that command as I’m guessing the radio must be pulled up first on the device (which I suspect that the “hologram receive” command does).

Suggestions on where to go from here? I believe I’m online, as I said it appears that I can get a message from the device to the dashboard with:
sudo hologram send “Hello World - Custom Test 20200726” (So it is “unique”)
These commands appear to indicate connectivity:
RPI-GATE:~ $ sudo hologram modem operator
Operator: AT&T Hologram
RPI-GATE:~ $ sudo hologram modem signal

And importantly I see connections in the dash.

I just cant seem to pass data back to the Raspberry Pi. (fresh install of Raspbian Debian Buster)
HELP? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Additional information, from this article: https://support.hologram.io/hc/en-us/articles/360038810214-u-blox-SARA-R410

This ATI is only to establish for your info what device and revision I’m working with:
ATI
Manufacturer: u-blox
Model: SARA-R410M-02B
Revision: L0.0.00.00.05.08 [Apr 17 2019 19:34:02]
SVN: 03
IMEI: 354444112824091

I followed the support article to the letter up to this section, you can see the USOCO command fails:
OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,“hologram”
OK
AT+COPS=0
OK
AT+USOCR=6
+USOCR: 0

OK
AT+USOCO=0,“cloudsocket.hologram.io”,9999
+CME ERROR: Operation not allowed

However, the article doesn’t really go into what to do if anything fails and why establishing a TCP connection with the Hologram Cloud would fail, I suspect has something to do with the overall issue?

1 Like

How long after sending the USOCO command did you receive the “+CME ERROR: Operation not allowed” ?
Also what is your response to: AT+CESQ

So the SMS method is unrelated to this, receive opens a socket that is connected to from a service we have running that will pass along messages for the device to consume.

This does seem to be related to the R410-02B specifically as the older module I tested it on works fine with the same SIM card. We are looking into what possible setting configurations might be affecting this since it must be at the modem level as it works for other modems just fine.

I just retested because I would have been guessing at 5-10 seconds. It was 16.38 from the moment I hit enter to the time that the error was returned.

Of note I finished out the document and tested the other sections:
AT+UDCONF=1,1
OK
AT+USOWR=0,61,“7B226B…REALLYLONGHEXSTRINGTRUNCATEDTOHIDEDEVICEID”
+CME ERROR: Operation not allowed

So the send using AT commands fails as well. Though it did seem to work with the CLI as I was able to see it in the dashboard.

Thanks Dom -
I’ve tried SMS,

I’ve tried data:

All I have is an unhappy empty receive buffer.

But without another modem at my disposal I really don’t have a reference point. I assume firmware Revision: L0.0.00.00.05.08 [Apr 17 2019 19:34:02] is the latest? I see it referenced here in your document “Update-the-Cat-M1-R410-Nova-s-Firmware” (sorry - no link - apparently new users can only post 2 links so I will leave it to you to troll through your online documentation :slight_smile: ) but I can’t find a reference for “latest” revision.

It has carrier connectivity and decent signal strength:

At this point I can’t even get the beginnings of my project off the ground because I can’t get data to the device. (My project will resemble jfidler’s above - reporting status of devices and manipulating relays based on trigger commands sent by SMS). If it is a hardware problem - what recourse do I have?

We have seen inconsistent behavior over Cat M1 devices with SMS but that is a different issue than the main focus on this thread. This particular issue is related to inbound socket messages, which you are also experiencing, but try to keep the thread on topic. If you need help with a code issue that is unrelated please do it in another post so as we can stay on top of the issue first posted about here. I can help you out but diagnosing issues that are tangential to this one would be better in their own thread.

I was able to reproduce this issue on an 02B. The UMNOPROF = 100 setting enables eDRX and PSM by default. However, once I disabled both, I was able to receive inbound socket messages. Can you please try disabling eDRX and PSM? You can use the following commands:

AT+CFUN=0
AT+CPSMS=0
AT+CEDRXS=0,2
AT+CEDRXS=0,5
AT+CFUN=15

Thanks for providing some additional troubleshooting steps Sara, I get a failure at this line:

Apologies Dom - it wasn’t my intent to “crosspost” but illustrate that in at least my case there did not appear to be ANY inbound communications. (Acknowledging perhaps that I didn’t follow some example somewhere correctly). As a complete layman to this system and having only picked the hardware, the SDK and the entire solution up on Saturday, it is entirely possible I didn’t initialize something somewhere properly. Happy to try anything you need with the device to further the ability to pass inbound socket messages.

What is the output of AT+CEDRXS?

Ah these tricky command lines :slight_smile: - I almost tried “AT+CEDRXS” which is not the same as “AT+CEDRXS?” (grin)

Thanks, :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, flip the values of the CEDRXS commands (ex. AT+CEDRXS=0,2 rather than AT+CEDRXS=2,0). Be sure to run AT+CFUN=0 before running these commands and run AT+CFUN=15 afterwards.

AT+CFUN=0
AT+CEDRXS=0,2
AT+CEDRXS=0,4
AT+CEDRXS=0,5
AT+CFUN=15

I will update the commands in my previous post.

OH BRAVO! Most excellent Sara!

And the output shows the first successful message has passed!

pi@RPI-GATE(ro):~$ sudo hologram receive -vv
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘12d1’, ‘1001’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘12d1’, ‘1506’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘1546’, ‘1102’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘1546’, ‘1104’)
DEBUG: checking for vid_pid: (‘05c6’, ‘90b2’)
INFO: Detected modem NovaM
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB0
DEBUG: checking port ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT]
DEBUG: {AT}
INFO: found working port at ttyUSB1
INFO: chatscript file: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Hologram/Network/Modem/chatscripts/default-script
DEBUG: [ATE0]
DEBUG: {ATE0}
DEBUG: [AT+CMEE=2]
DEBUG: [AT+CPIN?]
DEBUG: {+CPIN: READY}
DEBUG: [AT+CPMS=“ME”,“ME”,“ME”]
DEBUG: {+CPMS: 0,23,0,23,0,23}
DEBUG: [AT+CMGF=0]
DEBUG: [AT+CNMI=2,1]
DEBUG: [AT+CEREG=2]
INFO: Instantiated a NovaM interface with device name of /dev/ttyUSB1
DEBUG: [AT+CGMM]
DEBUG: {SARA-R410M-02B}
DEBUG: [AT+CCID]
DEBUG: {+CCID: 8944500105191493819}
DEBUG: [AT+CIMI]
DEBUG: {234500007149381}
DEBUG: [AT+USOCR=6]
DEBUG: {+USOCR: 0}
DEBUG: [AT+USOLI=0,4010]
Ready to receive data on port 4010
DEBUG: {+UUSOLI: 1,“10.176.100.4”,56116,0,“10.117.128.110”,4010}
DEBUG: URC! +UUSOLI: 1,“10.176.100.4”,56116,0,“10.117.128.110”,4010
DEBUG: handleURC state: 0
DEBUG: {+UUSORD: 1,30}
DEBUG: URC! +UUSORD: 1,30
DEBUG: handleURC state: 2
DEBUG: [AT+UDCONF=1,1]
DEBUG: [AT+USORD=1,30]
DEBUG: {+USORD: 1,30,“32303230303732392D31383135202D204669727374204D6573736167650A”}
DEBUG: [AT+UDCONF=1,0]
DEBUG: [AT+USOCL=1]
Received message: 20200729-1815 - First Message

I’m afraid I’m lost however on what eDRX and PSM are…
What is their importance?
What do they bring to the table?
Should I want them? :slight_smile:
What impact disabling them will have in the long run?
Are these new “features” to the 02B hardware?

1 Like

Further update - now with simply the CLI I am able to receive socket messages (I’m sure to be as expected, but after 3 days and numerous test examples I was completely unaware of how simple this should have been:

1 Like

This is great! I also have been working on this for weeks now. Looking forward to giving it a try soon when I have access to the system. Thanks Larray and Sara.

Not completely out of the woods… SMS still doesn’t work and I get errors with establishing a TCP connection with the Hologram Cloud and sending a message to the Hologram Cloud still using AT commands - but those are topics for another post.

Primarily to round this issue out I would like to understand the impact of disabling eDRX and PSM and if it will “bite” me later. Again - huge thanks to at least get my first message to the device Sara!

1 Like