Windows 7 Serial Driver for Dash

I just received my Dash today. The SerialCloud.println() works and data shows up in the Dashboard. In Windows 7 I get a DASH SERIAL device with no driver loaded or found. Where should I look for the driver?

Is this with the user program that came loaded on the dash or did you build your own?

I am using the latest sample Hello World for Arduino that was updated last night.

Hmm ok. Works well in Win10, maybe we need to switch something to get it working in 7. Weā€™ll discuss and get back to you.

Hey Iā€™m also having driver issues on windows 7. I installed the Arduino IDE version 1.6.8 and installed SAM boards version 1.6.6, 1.6.5, and 1.6.4 per the github instructions but the drivers did not detect the regular dash. Iā€™m not able to see a serial port in the drop down and windows fails to recognize USB device, so Iā€™m not able to flash any new code in the Arduino IDE yet.

Iā€™m also having driver issues on windows 7. I installed the Arduino IDE version 1-6-8 and installed SAM boards version 1-6-6, 1-6-5, and 1-6-4 per the github instructions but the drivers did not detect the regular dash. Iā€™m not able to see a serial port in the drop down and windows fails to recognize USB device, so Iā€™m not able to flash any new code in the Arduino IDE yet.

Hi yeah, USB serial doesnā€™t work on Win7 at the moment, but you can still flash it over usb, thatā€™s a different kind of device. Just hit the program button and do an upload.

Is there a Windows 7 driver ?

Give this a try. Weā€™ll need to post on the docs soon.

konekt_cdc.zip (1.2 KB)

Hi, Iā€™m having the Windows 7 USB port driver issues also. Is the certain Windows OS that are okay as I will seek out a computer with that loaded until a fix is found. The file youā€™ve supplied doesnā€™t work for me.

I am using Windows 7 and having the same DASH SERIAL (no driver found) issue when I connect Dash to one of the USB2 ports. I was able to upload the ā€œHello Worldā€ sketch successfully. But then nothing happened.

I also tried putty, and no response either.

From the thread here, it seems that it is the driver issue, or is it? I downloaded the konekt_cdc.inf, but donā€™t know how to update the driver with it. Any pointer? Thanks.

Hi, for Win7, you should be able to right-click on the .inf file and click install.

For newer Windows, you may run into a driver signing issue. Here are some instructions on fixing that: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Weā€™re working on making this a simpler process.

Trying this on Win7. I get the error ā€˜The INF file you selected does not support this method of installationā€™

Have you tried updating the driver from Device Manager? This is a pretty decent video of how to do it. The only difference is instead of Search automatically, select Browse my computer and select the INF file provide in this thread.

We have a signed driver in testing right now that we will be releasing soon. Hopefully that will resolve most of the Windows driver issues.

The error I got was from updating through the device manager and browsing to the driver listed above:

The steps I tried:
http://screencast.com/t/bFvYbfUhb3UV

What else is oddā€¦

When I press the PGM button, windows chimes and shows ā€˜Dash Pro Loaderā€™ in devices (odd because this is a Dash, not pro). As soon as my sketch is uploaded, the dash switches ā€˜modesā€™ and Windows chimes again. Then I have ā€˜Dash Serialā€™ listed in other Devices.

Edit: I just tried all this on another box (Windows 8). Same issue, same error. :confused:

Edit2: Just updated to latest firmware (incase it was not already). Tried driver again, same error/issue.

@SoggyB

Weā€™ve encountered lots of issues with Windows 7/8 driver installation. Microsoft has improved support for serial USB devices in Windows 10. It auto-detects the serial USB device and uses the correct built-in driver. The INF file we provide only points to this same driver, so Iā€™m not sure why Microsoft didnā€™t do this before Windows 10. We are going to be releasing a signed driver soon that will work on Windows 7/8 (since Win 8 requires signed drivers), and hopefully resolve all of these issues.

The Dash loader (also used for the DashPro) is a USB HID device, so that is why the switch occurs when you enter/leave the loader.

Borrowed a Mac so I can do some debugging with the serial monitor.

How can I get the appropriate port working for the Mac to open serial monitor?

ahā€¦ I had commented out the SerialUSB.begin();

after pushing that sketch, the new port showed up in the Arduino IDE.

1 Like

Hey, for anyone still having driver issues, we just released a new Arduino integration that will allow you to use a new signed driver. Weā€™re writing up a full tutorial, but after you get the update, compile and upload your user program and tell it to update the bootloader when you get a message about that.

Then, the attached driver should work on Windows:
konekt_cdc_all.zip (7.7 KB)

In case anyone hasnā€™t seen this related tutorial yet: https://hologram.io/docs/guides-tutorials/using-our-platform/tutorials/making-dash-work-windows-88-1/