Windows 7 Serial Driver for Dash

Does the konekt_cdc_all.inf work on Win 7 64-bit system? I followed the tutorial, but it complained about compatibility.

That driver works with Win 7 64-bit. Can you be more specific on the compatibility error?

Thanks, Erik.

Indeed it works. I am not sure exactly why. I tried several times, always choosing ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ as suggested, and browse to the folder that contains the .inf file. It kept failing and gave a message about 3-4 lines long, something about Win 64-bit. Today, as I wanted to capture the exact message and tried again. But I ‘made a mistake’ of selecting the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option. To my surprise, the Konekt Dash driver came up, and got installed successfully.

In any case, I also want to congratulate the Hologram support team for releasing the 0.7.1 updater for Windows 7. I am able to upload from the Arduino IDE, as well as using it to upload the bin file without the Arduino IDE! After keeping the DASH in my drawer since day 1 and paying for the data plan without sending a single byte. Today, I finally got the Hello World to the cloud! Thank you.

Sorry, I don’t think the statement in my previous message was accurate. I installed the Dash driver on another computer running Windows 7. I had to choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and not ‘Search automatically…’ for it to work. Anyway, the bottom line is that it works.

2 days ago I updated the firmware to 0.9.4. Now the Arduino IDE cannot upload again. I remember I replaced the updater within the IDE with the 0.7.1 version and it worked beautifully. Should I somehow change the updater again, or perhaps even change back to the 0.7.0?

Right now I can run the updater directly to upload the bin file. It’s just not as convenient as in IDE.

Thanks.

Hi @Erik, I just got a Dash Pro in addition to the Dash. The Arduino IDE is able to see my Dash, but I am facing the same old problem (on Dash before) of not seeing the Com port which the Dash Pro uses. I followed the same procedure but this time it does not work with Pro. On the IDE, it says ‘Board at COM8 is not available’. In the Device Manager, the ‘Konekt Dash Com Port (COM14)’ which I used for the Dash is still showing up, but nothing alerting to the Dash Pro being plugged in. Did I miss something?

Dash Pro has already been updated to 0.9.4. The IDE, I believe, is 0.9.1.

On the IDE, when I choose ‘DashPro Beta’ for the Board instead of ‘DashPro’, the COM14 shows up, and it works? What are the differences between DashPro Beta and DashPro? Any documents to refer to? Thanks.

I still cannot get the modem to pass through 1/14 stage, however. Anything to do with being a Beta unit?

Hi,
Selecting the board in the IDE shouldn’t make any difference as to which COM port is selected. Sometimes the IDE (or Windows) can just be a little slow about refreshing the list. Only a small number of people have the Pro Beta board. It was basically just some early Kickstarter backers. Did you get the board through our Kickstarter?

One thing to check is that you have the latest version of the Arduino IDE. (They’re up to 1.6.11 now)

Hi @Reuben, I just brought the board from @mario, who was an early Kickstarter backer.

I am using Arduino IDE 1.6.10. Is it good enough?

If I choose ‘DashPro’, and the port does not appear, it complains of COM 8 not available. When I choose ‘DashPro Beta’, whether the port is available or not, it is COM 14. So there must be a difference. Right?

I also just got mario to transfer his SIM card account to me. I am not able to get the modem on this board to go pass 1/14 stage. I am wondering whether it is because of the SIM card, or USB not having enough power (I also tried using an USB hub but does not work), or something else? Any tips?

Can you confirm the SIM card is inserted correctly? Notch should be inside and to the left.

Oh and for the COM ports, Windows doesn’t guarantee that you’ll always get the same port number for the same device so that’s not necessarily a sign of something bad. If there are no ports, I think the IDE just looks for some default number.

Yes, I double checked a few times!

Hi Reuben, you were right. I am able to choose the ‘DashPro’ tonight and see the COM port (14). So, now the only (big) problem left is the modem still timeout right after showing stage 1/14. I have tried using Y-cable and USB hub. Checked the orientation of the SIM card, even swapped the antenna. Nothing works. The last thing I can do is to swap the SIM card from my Dash to check, but I cannot physically access to it for another day or two. What else can I try in the meantime?

After some 20 minutes failing at stage 1/14, suddenly I saw it hit stage 5/14 and then again going back to 1/14. Could you please see whether the following log gives any clues? There is something about dropping oldest events to make space, which I have not seen before.

+EVENT:LOG,25,5,DEBUG,14,Modem command:
+EVENT:LOG,15,5,DEBUG,5,ATE0

+EVENT:LOG,31,4,WARN,21,Modem command timeout
+EVENT:LOG,98,4,CRIT,88,Insufficient buffer while processing modem events, oldest event(s) dropped to make space
+EVENT:LOG,36,5,DEBUG,25,Modem self-tests complete
+EVENT:LOG,46,5,DEBUG,35,Bootstrapping (2/14): Config modem.
+EVENT:LOG,47,5,DEBUG,36,Bootstrapping (3/14): Init SIM card.
+EVENT:LOG,33,5,DEBUG,22,Modem event: SIM ready
+EVENT:LOG,23,5,DEBUG,12,IMSI loaded.
+EVENT:LOG,24,5,DEBUG,13,ICCID loaded:
+EVENT:LOG,30,5,DEBUG,19,8944501006151407493
+EVENT:LOG,23,5,DEBUG,12,IMEI loaded:
+EVENT:LOG,26,5,DEBUG,15,358683065642044
+EVENT:LOG,53,5,DEBUG,42,Bootstrapping (4/14): Init event handling.
+EVENT:LOG,57,5,DEBUG,46,Bootstrapping (5/14): Wait for carrier signal.

+EVENT:LOG,98,4,CRIT,88,Insufficient buffer while processing modem events, oldest event(s) dropped to make space
+EVENT:LOG,25,5,DEBUG,14,Modem command:
+EVENT:LOG,17,5,DEBUG,7,AT+CSQ

+EVENT:LOG,65,5,DEBUG,54,Delaying to prevent carrier frustration, please wait:
+EVENT:LOG,14,5,DEBUG,4,120s
+EVENT:LOG,65,5,DEBUG,54,Delaying to prevent carrier frustration, please wait:
+EVENT:LOG,14,5,DEBUG,4,110s

+EVENT:LOG,81,5,DEBUG,70,Bootstrapping (1/14): Init modem (can sometimes take several minutes).

Do you have the antenna connected?

Yes, @Reuben. As I said, I even tried swapping with the antenna from the Dash Unit.

@juipin you said you have two different Dash units, right? Have you tried swapping SIMS between the units?

Yes @benstr, as mentioned in my earlier message, the last thing I could think of doing is to swap the
working SIM card from the Dash to DashPro unit. However, I cannot physically access to the Dash unit for a few days. So this test will have to wait.

Hi @benstr, I finally managed to access the Dash board and to swap the SIM cards. This is what I have found. Let’s say SIM 1 is the one that has been tested working with the Dash board. Now I have got a new DashPro board and SIM2, which are being tested and not working so far.

When I use SIM2 on the Dash board, modem works fine!

When I use SIM1 or SIM2 on the DashPro board, it keeps having timeout right after stage 1/14. There was only once that I observed it reached 5/14 (as reported above). I have tried Y-cable, and USB hub powered by 2.1A powerbank. None works. And if it ever reached 5/14, the orientation of the SIM card could not be wrong (I checked many times against the drawing on the document).

It seems to me that the modem on the DashPro is just not working. Is my conclusion reasonable?

This is good troubleshooting. The Dash Pro unit seems to be damaged.